DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Amendments in Building regs plans due to a Water Well discov

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Building Regulations and Planning Permission
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
SALL2009

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:42 pm Reply with quote

Basically as we were digging the foundations builders have found a well on the edge of the trench. Building regs inspector has asked for updated plans sent to them to be approved. The plan needs to incorporate what we plan on doing to avoid disturbing the well.
The suggestions he has given are, either filling it in or using lintels. I am seeing my architect tomorrow and I will get the plans updated and sent for re-approval. I was just wondering if anyone here has come across a situation where you had to avoid putting any load on a well or anything similarly sensitive.

The well is towards the end (of the side wall/trench) of the new extension. It has been suggested that we extend the trench a further 2 feet or so and run a lintel from there to avoid any load being on the well (or location close to it).
Would there be a recommended clearance required from the well.
Is there a recommended span of the lintel for such a situation?

Any possible suggestions of options would be very helpful. I donít think filling is an option as the well is quite big.
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
^woody^

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:25 pm Reply with quote

Yes you either fill it or bridge it

But in bridging it, you still need to be sure that loads are dealt with, and will not cause the well to collapse inwards further down

It may be an engineer that you need rather than an architect, if building control are not happy with any suggestions or guesses
 Alert Moderators
SALL2009

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:40 pm Reply with quote

Spoke to the architect today and it seems bridging might not be an option as 45 degree foundation rule would mean that the pad stones would need to be close to the depth of the well (Which is DEEP).

So I am now looking at pile foundations or filling the well in.

Can someone help me with calculation of how much hardcore would be needed to fill the well in?

The diameter of the well is roughly 2 meters and 6 meters deep.

According to my calcs this comes out to be 19 cubic meters.

If this is correct, can any one tell me how many tonnes of hardcore would be needed to fill 19 cubic meters?
 Alert Moderators
^woody^

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:41 pm Reply with quote

Confirm with your BCO or engineer if H/c is acceptable - it will compact over time, and can't normally just be tipped in. It may be a case of filling and bridging

A tonne is about 0.8m3, but you need to allow for compaction too, so perhaps someone else can work that out
 Alert Moderators
Nige F

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:38 am Reply with quote

^woody^ wrote:
A tonne is about 0.8m3, but you need to allow for compaction too, so perhaps someone else can work that out
Pi x R.squared x H icon_wink.gif
 Alert Moderators
SALL2009

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:27 am Reply with quote

Woody, You said filling and then maybe bridging also. But the pad stones of the bridge wouldn't need to be at the original depth of the well right? Otherwise, what would be the point in filling it in?

I am also looking at getting pile foundations.
 Alert Moderators
Static

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:36 am Reply with quote

SALL2009 wrote:
Spoke to the architect today and it seems bridging might not be an option as 45 degree foundation rule would mean that the pad stones would need to be close to the depth of the well (Which is DEEP).

RRRiiightt.. What about capping the well? May be time to take the calculator off the architect and give it to someone else.. as suggested above
 Alert Moderators
SALL2009

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:49 am Reply with quote

Static wrote:
SALL2009 wrote:

RRRiiightt.. What about capping the well? May be time to take the calculator off the architect and give it to someone else.. as suggested above

The well is already capped on top (with a brick cap and then few feet of soil to ground level). We only found out about its existence once we started digging. We have lived here 15 years and the ground has never shown any signs of sinking.
But as the well is still intact below the cap, building control inspector said that the pad stones of the bridge need to comply with 45 degree foundation rule.

Could a structural engineer come up with another solution?

The whole project is 7 feet by 10 feet and single story.
 Alert Moderators
Static

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:54 am Reply with quote

Yes, building control are more than happy when an SE takes liability for design.. but would have thought a reinforced concrete cap on top would be a possible economic solution..
 Alert Moderators
SALL2009

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:03 am Reply with quote

Thanks. Will speak to a SE and see what he says.
 Alert Moderators
inspectornumberone

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:21 pm Reply with quote

easiest is to fill it with lean mix. no compaction needed. i bet you would love to go down the 6m and start compacting the hardcore in 150mm layers! £1.9k to the ready mix company would be cheaper than piles! engineer could design a heavy raft also. what did your engineer say anyway?
 Alert Moderators
sjt73

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:11 pm Reply with quote

The Environment Agency has guidelines for decommisioning old wells. You should ask for their advice first. If you contaminate the water table, you'll be up a creak.

You may also be required to inform the British Geological Survey once you've done it.

I worked with boreholes and wells for 12 years as part of my job. The last Victorian well I had filled in took about 40 tonne of aggregate. Good luck.
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Building Regulations and Planning Permission All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: