building on existing extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are in the process of exchanging contracts on a prperty that has a single storey extension and the purchase was only viable if we could ultimately extend up to make a two storey extension to give extra bedrooms and bathroom.
It would appear from the searches however that planning was either not granted or maybe not even applied for as there is no mention of the work in any of the paperwork!
Obviously we could apply for retrospective permission but if it is found to be an unlawful build presumably we'd have to demolish and start over which is a complete non starter financially.
Anybody had a similar problem? Any advice would be welcome asap!!

Sponsored Links
If it's over four years ago then planning is not a problem though I would get the sellers to get the documents to show it's lawful. If it hasn't got a building control certificate of completion I'd probably walk away or cut your offer quite significantly

How do you know it even need planing permission you've not given enough info to be able to answer conclusively.

I was given enough information to answer as I did. You are free to add to my answer.

Sponsored Links
I was given enough information to answer as I did. You are free to add to my answer.
You are clearly physic, you obviously know when it was constructed what type of construction was used and its suitability for adding an additional storey etc.

And while you're at it what does
If it's over four years ago then planning is not a problem though I would get the sellers to get the documents to show it's lawful.
mean? If it was built 4 years ago the owner is immune from prosecution so why bother going to the hassle of applying for PP if it even needed it?

You have also recommended that the OP makes a significantly lower offer based on I don't know what. There are thousands of houses that have had extensions that do not conform to Building Regs yet they are still standing20 50 or 100 years later.

Of course it could have been built 6 months ago out of bit of old wood and would stand no chance of getting PP if it did not meet PD criteria like I say though not enough info.

I really don't know why people get so aggressive on this site.

Both my sentences began with the word 'If'. The sentence you need explaining is clear if you take the time to read it. I didn't suggest he applied for planning permission, I suggested he needed a certificate of lawful development. They are not the same.

I hope I was helpful to the original poster.

Please feel free to constructively add to my post.

So instead of aggressively picking on a poster who gives advice in good faith and without anger (that's me by the way) why not give some advice of your own? Because you haven't done so yet.

Poor old mugglecoot has posted once and do you really think he will want to post again?

What do you think mugglecoot should do?

The OP needs to provide more information as I have surmised in my posts. What age and type of construction is the house, when was the extension built, what type of construction is it, how you can assess its suitability for adding a storey without this info is beyond me.

Well it isn't beyond me.

All I said was that if it doesn't have a building control certficate of completion

"I'd probably walk away or cut your offer quite significantly"

The reason for giving this piece of advice should be evident to anybody in the know. Wanting to build on top of an extension (and we know it's a sizeable extension) without such a cert is taking a significant risk which either means walk away or offer less to mitigate the risk of having to upgrade the extension to allow a new floor to be put on the top of it.

Rather good advice I would say.

If it does have a certificate (and I didn't cover that eventuality but I will now) then the OP can be reasonably sure that building on top of it will not cause additional problems with building control. i.e. that risk of purchasing a house is mitigated.

Obviously part of purchasing a house is having a survey carried out (this goes without saying) and if the surveyor raises flags about the quality of construction then that is another issue.

My answer was purely in response to the OP saying there are no documents to prove that the extension has planning permission. I added the bit about building control because it is another council document that should exist.

It is not my intention to give an FAQ on what to do when purchasing a house.

And here endeth the lesson.

Too many egos on this site.

So for arguments sake the house was a trad build from the eighties and the extension was built 20 years ago looks in keeping with the house and looks well built shows no sign of subsidence or other oddity one could surmise it may well be of sound construction. It needs a measured approach not a blanket condemnation. As I say you do not possess the information with which to dismiss it out of hand if it happens not to have been passed by BC, you seem to think you do but you do not.

I would say upon answering these queries the OP can then make a measured decision on how to proceed rather than your blanket NO.

Lesson my backside! :rolleyes:

i didn't dismiss out of hand, I gave an "either/or" preceded by an 'If"

I shall leave you to surmise away to your hearts content. I shall deal with the facts as presented by the OP. I hope he found my posts useful.

Tara

Er....thaks guys! :oops:

Actually, mugglecoot, if you hang around these forums you will learn that freddiemercurystwin is one of the more knowledgeable posters, he gets it right at least half the time.

I reckon he was just a little bit peeved that I got in with my answer before he did and he threw his toys out the pram. Happens all the time on here. No excuse for agression though.

What really gets my goat on these forums is that nobody seems to read what you post and then they just lay into you for saying something you never actually wrote.

I guess it's a problem with forums where builders hang out. What with all these lads flooding in from Eastern Europe I have to make allowances for these people who don't have English as their first language. I should just try a little harder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back