Bungalow roof extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of pre application advice with local planners, I wish to raise the roof level on my bungalow, all that they are advising in a very small increase and will not benefit my needs, the argument is that I have bungalows each side of similar roof heights. other properties in the area have had permission granted for similar schemes with similar situations. Can anyone advise me if this is possible reason to gain permission ?

Sponsored Links
Each application is looked at on it's own merits and neighbouring properties with what you hope to achieve often have no bearing on their decision to grant or refuse planning permission. I have a rental mid terrace back to back property in Leeds and applied to build dormers to the roof and although the neighbours either side, and at the back, had them I was refused. You couldn't actually even see my dormers until you got almost to the house as the neighbours were much bigger but the refusal actually stated " it is not an area frequented by dormer windows".
At a conservative estimate about 60% of the houses nearby have dormers and it actually came down to the personal preference of the planning officer I had a visit from because he openly told me he hated dormers. I got planning in the end but only after he had moved office.

Pre-application advice is without the site inspection and full consideration of the proposal in context

Apply for what you want, see what the planners want and negotiate as necessary

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back