Caravan sited on large plot lawful through passage of time?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a large plot with my house, around 3.5 acres. There is a caravan located in the far corner, well away from the road and the house, it's screened by hedges and trees and borders farmland. The land I own is not agricultural and is continuous with the property (not some annexed meadow or separate field) The caravan has been in situ for around 20 years, long before I owned the house. It has seen better days and I'm going to scrap it. However, is there any planning law I should aware of here? I assumed with it being there for so long that this would be OK and it would be considered lawful to keep a caravan in this position through passage of time. It has been used for accommodation now and then, and I'd like to use the replacement for the same. The replacement will be a similar size, standing on its wheels.

It wanted to check my situation before I do anything. Any advice gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
See what others say, but I understand that it's use would only become lawful after 10 years of continuous occupation. In such circumstances you may the submit an application for a lawful use certificate as long as you have the evidence to show continuous occupation.

In the scenario, you would effectively be creating an additional dwelling.

I'm not seeking lawfulness around continuous occupation (though we'd like to use it now and then), just to establish whether it's legal for me to site a caravan there. I'm not hoping to one day get planning for a house or anything like that, just it's a nice spot and the kids enjoy "camping" out in it over the summer.

I cant work out whether there is any planning law about where on your plot you can keep a caravan. I've basically got a 3 acre garden so couldn't see any reason I couldn't put the caravan anywhere I liked. I'm not sure if there's a difference with it being on my drive, or some area near the house vs the far end of the plot. The fact it's been there for 20 years or so I thought would also be a factor.

thanks

As long as the land is considered residential curtilage, then I don't believe there is an issue at all, where ever you locate it.

Unless someone else knows better?

Sponsored Links
if it's neen there 20 years, why do you expect someone to take issue now?

Perhaps because he ants to replace it with a new one?

The existing caravan will be fine but what about a replacement?
(make it green moldy and then people may not notice :) )

yes, one concern is I am going to replace it so it will not be the same caravan. Caravans on land are a bit of a hot topic locally, it's tucked away out of sight in position but when I move it I know someone will see it being towed across the open area of my land, and a helpful call to the council is likely. Secondly, I want to apply for consent for some other work, that means a site visit from a planner, who will see the caravan.,

You seem to be saying the land is domestic curtilage. If so you do not need planning permission to site a caravan anyway. And you can use it for occasional ancillary use.

I've read that defining curtilage is a tricky subject on a large plot and planners are not always consistent in they way they do it. I've also read that the curtilage is irrelevant in this context and that the use class of the planning unit (the whole plot) is the how the siting of a caravan should be judged. It doesn't seem straight forward. I might have to get some advice.

BTW, take lot of date stamped photos of the current one, the grass growing under & around it etc.

Find it on Google maps etc.

I've read that defining curtilage is a tricky subject on a large plot and planners are not always consistent in they way they do it. I've also read that the curtilage is irrelevant in this context and that the use class of the planning unit (the whole plot) is the how the siting of a caravan should be judged. It doesn't seem straight forward. I might have to get some advice.
If you are not sure the land is domestic curtilage I would advise applying for a certificate of lawfulness on the 10 year rule before you move the old one away. Once you have a certificate you can replace the caravan with a different one as long as it is the same basic size and shape.

If it's not fixed to the ground,on wheels and is movable then you wont need planning permission.This is why a lot of stables are now built on sledges and can be moved one foot if need be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back