Consequences of not submiiting to building control?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I were to erect a brick built outbuilding in my garden (within the bounds of planning permission exemption) for the purpose of using as a garden office/guest sleeping area, what would the consequences be of not submitting to building control?
I'm not planning on doing this, but a couple of people have told me they wouldn't and I want to know why this is a bad idea!

Sponsored Links
If it's not knocked through to the house or connected to the house heating system and is within dimensional limits it doesn't need building regs anyway.

I didn't know that. Thanks. I guess that all that needs notifying then is the electrical work?

If the outbuilding is under 30m^2 floor area AND (more than 1m from a boundary OR constructed from non-comnbustable matirials) THEN building regs approval is not required (with the exception of part-p for electrics)

Sponsored Links
If it's not knocked through to the house or connected to the house heating system and is within dimensional limits it doesn't need building regs anyway.

Wouldn't a guest sleeping area mean its a habitable room? As would a home office too

Aye sleeping accommodation definitely requires Building Regs. That said as for the consequences well I doubt there would ever be any, provided you used common sense and respected the important issues. JohnD's link points to slum landlords not guest sleeping.

I understand that legally the term 'incidental' as quoted in the legislation excludes the use of an outbuilding for sleeping accommodation so not PD either BTW.

If I were to erect a brick built outbuilding in my garden (within the bounds of planning permission exemption) for the purpose of using as a garden office/guest sleeping area, what would the consequences be of not submitting to building control?
I'm not planning on doing this, but a couple of people have told me they wouldn't and I want to know why this is a bad idea!

:?: :confused:

:unsure:

No, he's asking about the consequences of not getting building regulations for something that does not need planning permission. Saladbrain

No, he's asking about the consequences of not getting building regulations for something that does not need planning permission. Saladbrain

Not getting building regulations?

You don't 'get' building regulations. You comply with them.

No planning permission is required, so carry on, nothing to see.

sleeping accommodation 100% requires a planning application in an out building

if you are going to occasionally fall asleep in your office say once a month then providing theres nothing resembling a bed no one will worry
if its once a week then they may worry but not notice

the simple solution is your not allowed to do it but if no one notices it because you are very sensible and covert then it hasn't happened

but just be aware deliberately concealing the use stops the clock when it comes to timed usage overcoming planning

Needing Brain Salad Surgery ? or a dose of E.L.P. :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back