Converting 2 flats back to original house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of buying 2 flats and the associated freehold, with a view to converting them back to a single dwelling. I am aware that this is an expensive way of purchasing a house, but due to mortgage multiples, it's the only way I can finance a house big enough for my family.

I have contacted the planning dept and been told I don't require planning permission as I am returning it back to its original use - but I have seen some comments on here to the contrary.

I will obviously need to return the services to just one inlet (excuse the lack of technical speak), but is there anyone out there who can give me an idea of the costs I'm likely to incur with this?

Also, I am purchasing them as separate flats initially, one with a buy to let mortgage and one on a residential mortgage. I plan to rent one for six months and live in the other as my income will dramatically increase in the next 6 months. This will then allow me to remortgage for the entire house at a later date. However, what I'm confused about is whether I need to get the mortgage for the whole house first, or do the conversion work and then remortgage once it is a house again? I have a relatively good deposit, but currently low income, so I really need to be careful.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
I will obviously need to return the services to just one inlet (excuse the lack of technical speak), but is there anyone out there who can give me an idea of the costs I'm likely to incur with this? ...

However, what I'm confused about is whether I need to get the mortgage for the whole house first, or do the conversion work and then remortgage once it is a house again?

1. Depends how the conversion was done in the first place, but at a simple level it's just terminating or capping off one set of services, and linking the second flat back to the first flat's incoming mains so they both share the same meters etc. This may involve digging up to terminate the pipes or cables under the pavement.

Often there will be a standard price for a disconnection - check the utilities' websites.

2. You need to coordinate the work and the mortgage. You will have to get the land registration altered so both flats are on the same title. then join the flats together and get a whole house owner-occupier mortgage.

The lender will probably be reluctant to let you have an occupier mortgage while the building is structured so that part of it could be tenanted. Therefore work towards a single front door, no internal lockable sub-dwelling doors, and only one kitchen, to get single house status. Titivating can follow later.

Hi Lillabean,

Unfortunately, there's no easy answer to the question as to whether the deconversion of flats into a house requires planning permission - this may explain why you've seen different answers. This particular question has been the subject of several court cases, which have found that (unlike the requirement for planning permission for other types of works) the answer can depend on the adopted policies of your local authority.

This means that it's possible for one local authority to say that such a deconversion DOES require planning permission and another local authority to say that such a deconversion does NOT require planning permission ... and for both local authorities to be correct!

As such, with a deconversion, in my opinion the most important advice is always to check the interpretation of your particular local authority. Furthermore, considering that your local authority may well change its interpretation at some point in the future (particularly if there are subsequent court cases that reach different conclusions), you may well want to consider obtaining formal confirmation from your local authority (rather than an informal view) by applying for a lawful development certificate (LDC).

Thanks,
Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back