does raised area need planning permision

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,
i have just built a new house & to the rear there are some french doors going out onto a raised paved area (i live in a valley).
now i got planning ok & the size is about 1.75m out which isnt as much as i'd hoped.
does this raised garden area come under planning as it was on the plans to show the finnished look but it isnt a living space or part of the house.
just a question before i start.
thanks.

Sponsored Links
Have a read here...

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/decking

If you have just built a new house, PD rights may have been removed so check your decision notice.

Also... you may be able to get away with a "non-material amendment" application. Check with your LPA. Some may give you advice over the phone, especially the case officer who dealt with the approval for the house.

sorry what are PD rights,
thanks.

Who did your planning application for you?

It's not clear what you are actually asking, you state that you have french doors leading onto a raised area already, are you asking if you should have done that, or are you asking about changing something?

Sponsored Links
no at the moment i have the french doors with a 3 ft drop & i was about to start building the raised area to walk out of the french doors. there is also a side door on the same wall which also has the drop until i get the raised area built.
i hope this clears up things a little.
thanks

Well if it were me I'd just build it a bit bigger within reason. If your neighbours don't complain then leave it. In four years time then it will be 'legal'. If they do complain then you will have to take it back to where it was on the plans.

thats my problem , i've a neighbour thats a complete tw*t, & the missing letters a not i. the rest of them are fine.

Well if it were me I'd just build it a bit bigger within reason. If your neighbours don't complain then leave it. In four years time then it will be 'legal'. If they do complain then you will have to take it back to where it was on the plans.
No it will not become legal just immune from prosecution.

Oh he'll be down a hole somewhere.

So tell me. What's the difference between legal and 'legal'.

Or would you prefer the word lawful ?

You did study English after the age of ten, otherwise I'd be wasteing my time.

(any grammar, syntax or speling mistakes above should not used against me)

does this raised garden area come under planning

No, this work would not be operational development under planning law.

The ground levels would only be relevant if specifically mentioned or condition in the planning approval

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back