Door question...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a bedroom built above my garage (job is 70% completed), and to get access requires my second stairs landing will breakout into a new set of stairs into the new bedroom.

We plan on making the conversion into 2 separate rooms, so I need to know what is the smallest width door I can install into the new rooms?

Sponsored Links
There is no minimum width of door in that particular situation. However, if the difference in height between your existing quarter landing and your new floor is more than 600, you will need a separate landing at the top of your 'mini-flight'. This landing has to be at least as deep as the stairs are wide,and this may influence the width of your doors.

Thanks Tony.

Yes the height between that landing and the new floor is more than 600mm, and as I understand it there has to be a 400mm space after the first step (and is the width of the rest of the stairs) and that no doors can swing onto that space, and the design I've come up with achieves that.

Here's a (drawn on an iPad!) drawing to show the layout. So to confirm, you are saying that I could install 610mm wide doors here?

LwUTD

Sponsored Links
Ultimately. the only regulation on stairs is that they shall be safe to use and much depends on individual circumstances.
If you've got 400 between the top riser and the nearest point to the doors, I should think it would be a very picky inspector who would find this unsafe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back