Front Porch on House

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sure I've read on here, that a front porch can be built without planning permission or building regulations if the following apply:

- no larger than 3 m square in size
- No higher than 3m
- Front house security door to remain

Anyone able to confirm this?

If so, I can design whatever I like?

Do I have to put footings in place like an extension, I presume not?

I want to build out of UPVC a bit like a conservatory, probably with a flat roof. I do want it to look good though, so I wont be doing a bodge job.

Just want to make sure I dont get a knock at the door (on the porch door!!!) from the council telling me to take it down

Any thoughts or comments appreciated, thanks

Sponsored Links
Do I have to put footings in place like an extension, I presume not?
There won't be much weight on your footings so they won't need to be very wide, but unless you want to risk movement of the structure - which could cause such problems as doors binding or pulling away from the main house - then make sure you go deep enough that frost heave won't be an issue.

If you've got any trees nearby you might need to go deeper still to prevent roots getting under the foundations and causing subsidence.

Thanks Freedy's twin, thats a good link

I have a small Jack Russell dog and it's a bit quick at getting out when the front door is opened, so we tend to use the back door for coming in and out. A bit difficult when people call round and knock at the door though, tend to talk to them through a window, which isnt ideal.

So wanted to put a small porch on the front, maybe with the new door on the side, maybe on the front. Couple of matres wide to allow for a small cupboard perhaps, for coats and shoes etc. Something like that, with a flat roof.

Just googled and found these, something like this would work for me

porch-main2.jpeg

Porch2.jpeg

upvc-porch.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Cheers Ronny,

Think we posted at roughly the same time there.

I've just built a 7m x 4m extension on the back of my house and the foundations were 1m deep and 0.6m wide, took a huge amount of concrete (7.5 cu m) for a large extension.

I'd hope I dont have to do anything as deep as that for a few UPVC panels. I guess if I did some brick dwarf walls, then I'd have to put something a bit substantial in place, but would I have to submit drawings to the council for approval? Thats what I really want to know

...but would I have to submit drawings to the council for approval? Thats what I really want to know
No, it's exempt from building regs so the council don't have to be informed at all.

If there are no trees nearby then you will get away with footings 450mm deep measured from finished ground level to prevent frost heave.

Nice one Ronny,

Sounds good and a plan starting to form

Just need to decide what it will look like, best ask the boss I guess!

Don't forget to check if your PD rights have been revoked, if they have you will need PP

...but would I have to submit drawings to the council for approval? Thats what I really want to know
No, it's exempt from building regs so the council don't have to be informed at all.

If there are no trees nearby then you will get away with footings 450mm deep measured from finished ground level to prevent frost heave.
Or shared drains within 3m. :evil:

Note, if the work involves a new electrical circuit then Part P of the Building Regulations will apply to the electrical installation. However, if the electrician is a member of a Competent Persons Self-Certification Scheme then a Building Regulation application for the new electrical work is not required but you will want to get certification from them for your records.

Also, as already noted, please check that you have your Permitted Development rights intact.

Finally, if you really wanted to then you can always choose to make an application to the council for a "certificate of lawful development". This is basically a rubber stamp exercise which gives you a certificate to show that your proposed porch is within your lawful rights... and is useful if you are looking to sell your home or just in case a nosy neighbour makes a complaint and sends the enforcement team your way.

(good news is that as long as you have stayed within your rights they would likely just get you make a retrospective application. The only difference is that it costs double).

Note, if the work involves a new electrical circuit then Part P of the Building Regulations will apply to the electrical installation. However, if the electrician is a member of a Competent Persons Self-Certification Scheme then a Building Regulation application for the new electrical work is not required but you will want to get certification from them for your records.

Also, as already noted, please check that you have your Permitted Development rights intact.

Finally, if you really wanted to then you can always choose to make an application to the council for a "certificate of lawful development". This is basically a rubber stamp exercise which gives you a certificate to show that your proposed porch is within your lawful rights... and is useful if you are looking to sell your home or just in case a nosy neighbour makes a complaint and sends the enforcement team your way.

(good news is that as long as you have stayed within your rights they would likely just get you make a retrospective application. The only difference is that it costs double).

Some good points there Louis, thanks

"Certificate for lawful development" sounds an offical way to go!

Don't forget to check if your PD rights have been revoked, if they have you will need PP

I take it to find this out I need to contact the council?
Yes, or look in your deeds, if its a new build they will quite likely have been revoked, you may find lots of "not withstanding section blah blah of the gdpo ..." Type statements in the pp for the house or estate if they are revoked.

I take it to find this out I need to contact the council?
Yes, or look in your deeds, if its a new build they will quite likely have been revoked, you may find lots of "not withstanding section blah blah of the gdpo ..." Type statements in the pp for the house or estate if they are revoked.

Ex Council house, built in 1930!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back