Garage Conversion into Kids Play Room/2nd Living Room.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, everyone. Newbie here :)

I hope someone can give me some advice. As the subject line says me and my wife decided to make our Garage into a Kids Play Room/2nd Living Room for our 3 sons and their pals when they come round. As there is never a struggle for off road parking and in the 3 years or so that we have lived here, we have NEVER used the garage for either of our 2 cars, so it seemed an obvious thing to do.

The Garage is not adjoining the house (its about 10 yards away) and was approximately a 35 sq mtr room, so fairly big. Basically we have insulated it (walls and roof), put a couple of 40" TVs on the wall with Sky/XBox etc, small snooker table, carpet tiles, few pictures on the wall, sofa and a fridge. Upgraded existing Single Glazed Window to a Double Glazed one, and also new PVC Door. Behind the garage door is now an insulated wall with glass wool between it. So from the outside the Garage looks as it was, so doesnt really effect any neighbours. Even with the TV/XBox volume high its pretty much soundproof, even at night.

Ok so here are my concerns........

1) Do we have a duty to inform the council? (i am guessing YES!)

If YES and we DO inform them: is that liable to be another 40 or 50 quid a month in Council Tax?

If YES and we DONT inform them and they find out later: can they calculate that you were due to pay x mount of £s extra and they chase you for back money? If so how far back can they go? few years?

2) If the council come round and say they want to examine and re-evaluate our property can they look at our garage and the insulation and make reference to the fact that we never went through any building regulation warrants etc? and get into the nitty gritty of insulated roofing etc etc. Could they say put it back the way it was??!!

At the end of the day there is no toilet, no wash basin, no one sleeping in the room overnight. So can it not be looked on as an official room? How strict does this have to be and where does the law stand on this? Could I argue..... if the wall behind the garage door came off, it would just basically still be a "Comfy Garage"?!

The alarm bells are ringing in my head because 2 neighbours (husband & wife) were passing and said "oh what are you doing with your garage". So i said, well come and have a look. The woman was nice about it, but the husband who has always struck me as a bit of a weirdo looked blankly and said "your rates will be going up then?". To which I didnt provide much of an answer, but he looks the type to cause bother and wouldnt put it past him to report it. Although his wife did say "oh there no need for the council to know!". So maybe worrying about nothing, although it pays to be prepared! People can be funny!

Any advice from you guys would be gratefully appreciated!
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Obviously you realise you need Building Regs but have decided not to get it. The garage is a controllable building as you confirm the size is 35m2 internally so any changes you make are controlled, whether it has sleeping accommodation or not. This includes replacing your Windows and doors too!

If you informed the Council Tax teams at your council first then it is likely they will notify their Building Control colleagues automatically as they have mutual benefit. I very much doubt an additional room such as this would affect your rates much, even if it did I'm sure they cannot apply it until the house is sold again at which point they may review their banding with the local valuations office.

You seem to want to make your room insulated but I'm guessing this is more down to noise. If Building Control do come knocking and they are known to physically enforce then you should regularise the work. They will always give you this option first. You will have two options; remove the unauthorised work or bring up to compliance ( to the regs from when it was built mind not necessarily current regs). Both types will incur a charge and they will inspect too. If you go for the latter then you will have a compliance certificate that makes it legal.

Bear in mind the Council Tax will find out as Building Control teams usually pass on all completed work reports to them.

thank you for your comment Paul.

I guess the argument could be, does it HAVE to be classified as an official room?

Yes its not habitable, as in anyone sleeping in it. Also there is no heating, no toilet etc and the garage door is still in existence, so from the outside it looks AS IT WAS.

The garage was actually part insulated BEFORE we bought the property (roof). Many many people make their garages "comfier". Where does the line get drawn where it changes from being classified as a "room" or a "garage"? Many people use their garages as workshops or whatever.

I know regulations are regulations and in many cases it is important, but in many cases its just beaurocratic nonsense and I believe this is one of those situations. I mean what we've done effects NO ONE LIVES apart from our own and im off the opinion what goes on inside our property is personal to us.

Tearing everything down (insulation etc) so thats its x amount of milimeters correct so that it conforms to some meaningless rule book could likely incur a cost of thousands. We spent about 5k. If we wanted to do it via building regulations it would have cost DOUBLE, which would have been money we didnt have.

So do I have a "comfy garage" or a "room"? Oh man the joys!!! :confused:

You'll never have to tear it down, BC would never enforce such action. The worst that could happen is BC would have a marker next to your address that showed up when you came to sell that non compliant works were carried out. As long as you don't market the property as having a compliant conversion there is no need to be concerned. Rest easy. Council Tax won't take any notice, it is non compliant and as such will (technically) add little to the value, even if it was/did Council Tax changes are never just done.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the positive vibe Freddy. To be honest NO PLANS TO SELL. Hope this will be our house for the next 30 years :) (barring a lottery win).

To be honest when i think about it. IF Building Control DID want to come and examine my property, by way of an appointment. All i would have to do surely is:

1 - Remove the wall behind the garage door
2 - Remove the carpet tiles and pictures on the wall.
3 - Turn the sofa upside down
4 - Open the garage door and park a car inside for when they come round.

Total cost to me.... what? cpl hundred? of getting a tradesman to remove the glass wool, insulated plasterboard, plywood works behind the garage door.

After inspection, put it back! Doubt they will keep coming back inspecting it!

But good to think that that is unlikely and a WORSE CASE SCENARIO.

Cheers

PS Anyone got any other theories?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back