Help builder has built my rear ext too big

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, sorry first post. Just been out and measured extension wall as they looked to big and the builder has gone out 90 more than he should of done. God knows how he got it so wrong. He put the side walls up 3m already. What should I do? Help

Sponsored Links
A bit more info please, built with Planning Permission or under Permitted Development? What shape is it, what size should it be, which wall is wrong, are there Building Regulations drawings he's following or is it being done under a Notice? Single storey or double, flat roof or pitched, scan the take a photo or two of the drawings he's used and post them here, how far has he got exactly? And anything else you can throw us ......

Waste of time answering until you provide some background info.

Built under permitted development meant to out 4m, single story ext. flat roof. yes there are building reg drawings. To date the two main walls out from the house have gone out too 4.9m the back is meant to be bifold doors so just a few courses up. The two sides have gone up 3m.

Sponsored Links
If it was 90mm, no-one would loose any sleep, but 90cm is considerably larger than 4m.

No-one here could say what your LPAs view would be, or what they would do if they found out (eg they might just ask you to submit a planning application and approve it; or they might go at you with all guns blazing).

But ultimately, the builder's made a mistake - why should you carry the can and suffer sleepless nights?

Perhaps tactfully explain the position and get him to cut it back at his expense, before it gets any higher - don't just leave it.

My advice is tell the builder he has built too large and point out the potential consequences. i.e. that planning may require a planning application or possibly even enforcement. Give him the option to rebuild to the correct dimensions now whilst the amount of work is relatively less than it will be later. Also tell him that he should inform his insurer of the error in case it becomes necessary to make a claim now or later. Do all that in writing. If he decides to take the risk at least you have everything on record in case it goes pear shaped with the planners later.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back