Listed Building Parking Issue!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm looking at a listed building based in Surrey which is perfect. The issue is, it has no parking, and parking within that area costs £700.00 a year (which I can't nor want to afford!).

I know that listed building (Grade 2) status protects all structures within the curtilage, but does it affect the plants?

The house has a hedge running along the front of it, with no permanent structures within it. The garden is big enough to lay a permeable membrane at the end to park on. Is there an issue with removing the end of the hedge, getting consent for a gate and parking on the garden or does the whole lot need consent? (which it probably wouldn't get!).

Look forward to your response.

Pie

Sponsored Links
I note you say no structures in the hence so assume you know that generally any changes to structures, including fences within 2m of a public highway require consent. I'm not sure whether a hedge falls within this category though. search google for planning-applications.co.uk - that is a very useful source for questions like this; and many others

The curtliage of a listed building is also usually an issue in these cases, so I expect the hedge, being within the curtilage, would be something the planners would require any application for as this would materially affect the setting of the listed building.

If it's a classified road (ie an A or B road - I'm assuming it won't be an "m"...), you may need consent for a new access/egress arrangement (as you have no established vehicular access/egress, it is likely you could need consent - i doubt you could successfully argue an existing pedestrian access is an "existing access" for the purposes of using the garden for parking

HTH :mrgreen: (lol, just noticed there's a smiley withy my name on it ):cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back