Loft converted to storage space, but no building regs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

We live in a Victorian terrace, council leasehold. Last year we had some work done on our loft to make it into a useful storage space (not a habitable space)

We had loads of builders round, got loads of quotes, and we chose what we thought was the best one. For the work that we described, not one mentioned building regs. Yes, I know I was naive not to check myself, but this is my first property and I didn't know there was such a thing as building regs.

As part of the work he put in a new floor with steel beams, a velux window, 4 spotlights and 2 power outlets.

There's no stairs (only drop down), landing, door, etc - we're not using it as a room.

It was only when chatting with a property developer friend that I found out about all the building reg stuff.

Did I need to get building regs for the work done?

Now that the space has been built, is there anything I can do that doesn't involve ripping out the construction to check the work that's been done?

My obvious concern is when we come to selling the place...

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Lou

Sponsored Links
If it's only used for storage, and has a pulldown ladder, you don't need Building Regulations.

Thanks for that Tony - that's what I'm hoping

But the friend I spoke to seems to think that the steels and the window are counted as structural work - would that not be the case?

If you fitted a structural floor that involved removing existing structure then Building Regs were required irrespective of whether the room is habitable or not (which is tonys angle).

Sponsored Links
FMT; you may be right on that one, though for some reason I assumed he had built a new (independent) floor above the ceiling. But would that be regarded as a structural alteration? I don't know; possibly, if you consider that the steels and joists will put some additional weight on the walls. I might stand corrected on that one.

RR; I think you're right as well. I may keep away from the whole loft conversion area in future - too contentious - particularly when that W pops up :LOL:

Oh you guys, what are you like

I'm feeling benevolent this weekend

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back