Must I conform to Building Regs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Placing this Q for a friend!

Friend has been working away on the plot of land where a house originally stood. Planning permission was given 10 yrs ago. As he slowly progresses, must he conform to Building Regs? I believe the drains have already been passed sometime ago! Could he in theory, continue on without any inspections if he will occupy the propery when completed?

Sorry about shortage of info!

Thanks
Alan

Sponsored Links
I think you will find that if your friend doesn't get it signed off by buiilding regs, then he may have issues in the future.

There would certainly be a problem if he ever came to sell it, as solicitors will want to see planning approval AND building reg certificates.
Also, there may be a problem with claiming on insurance, if that ever occured.
We had a problem with a flue installation recently for a solid fuel stove. The installers mistakenly put in the wrong sized flue. According to my brother-in-law, who works in insurance, even though we had a signed off completetion certificate from them saying it was building reg compliant, it actaully was not. If we'd had a problem/fire and had to make a claim on insurance, the insurance company would investigate, and if they'd found out, would not pay out.
We went back to the installer, and they agreed to change it for the right size. :mrgreen:

Better to do it right now than have it bite you in the backside later! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back