New soil pipe through wall query - is my builder right??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

hope I have the right part of the forum. Basically I have had some builders in converting the understairs cupboard in my victorian terrace. The builders have put the soil waste pipe under the void under the floor and knocked a hole in the outside wall, fed the pipe through to join up with the existing drain under the rear yard.

My question is that it appears that they havent put anything around the pipe other than sand and some soil. Surely they have to put something else there to stop vermin and water getting in and getting into the void under the floorboards??

Bad explaination I know so ive added a picture of what I mean.

Any advice/ideas would be really appreciated as im sure that the builder is pulling a fast one that will damage my house as soon as it rains!

Sponsored Links
Where the pipe goes through a wall underground, there is suppposed to be a rigid sheet of material, inside and out, around the pipe to stop vermin and backfill getting in.

Thanks for the reply Tony
That is what I thought the builders would have to so but when I pointed this out they said

"It's all done in accordance with building regulations, the soil pipe is going through your foundations as there're only 2 inches thick - The house is built on Victorian foundations and it will be the same throughout your home.
Every other pipe fitting in your home will be the same as the one you are looking at (for example in your kitchen) So if you have had no problems with the others, I can't imagine why you would with this new soil pipe"

So basically now the builders have washed their hands of this and I'm going to have to do it myself.

If I understand correctly I need to get some ply wood, cut a hole the size of the waste pipe and put this flush with the wall on both sides. Do I need any gap around the soil pipe or can the ply be tight fitting? [/code]

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back