Old Garage Conversion - Bringing Up to Regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Sorry to ask for help as my first post!

I will try and keep it short. In a nutshell new house (not new build) and it's got an unofficial conversion of the back half of the garage. I want to make this official by applying for retrospective building regs. First logical step here is to make sure it is up to scratch.

I thought a quick (not at all to scale) sketch would help.

It's a link-detached property so just joined by this single storey brick garage with pitched roof.

There are a rad, electrics, phone and Ethernet sockets already in place.

Any suggestions on what on the below sketch may need doing (e.g. Insulating the 'party' wall between garages?)

Already aware the loft needs insulating so I will be doing that ASAP...

Sponsored Links
Not sure when it was done; within the last 10 years I'd say.

I want to make it official as I'm thinking of converting the loft above and I presume the BCO will notice the office as he inspects the loft (if I do that officially and don't just decide to use it for light storage!)

Building inspectors don't (can't) go mooching around the house looking for past work

Sponsored Links
Building inspectors don't (can't) go mooching around the house looking for past work

This is handy to know if they can't pull me up for it - access to the loft conversion would be via some steps in this unregulated garage conversion which is now my office though so no amount of mooching would be required to notice it!

So even if I use it for access to a regulated loft conversion then they cannot say anything? Great!

By the way, £800+ for regs. for a loft conversion according to Wycombe DC website if I've read it correctly - that is ridiculous!

Does anyone know how I can tell if the raised timber floor in this conversion has 'damp proofing' as per regs? Presumably, from what I have read, the only other issue I may have if I wanted to gets regs. on it would be the party brick wall; seems it would need insulating somehow (although technically it's not external)

Oh yes, stud wall would need insulation too, not sure how I would so that without ripping one side down to stuff insulation in!

Neither are we! :p

Damn, I was hoping you'd have some kind of magic solution!

Looks like I won't be bringing the conversion up to regulation any time soon as taking down one side of the wall is a lot of upheaval!

Why take one side of the wall down? You could just stick insulated plasterboard over what's already there.
But why bother? Building Control won't do anything - as you've already been advised.

Why take one side of the wall down? You could just stick insulated plasterboard over what's already there.
But why bother? Building Control won't do anything - as you've already been advised.

Thanks Tony, I had no idea I could just stick more (insulated) board up as a solution! I'm pretty new to DIY so still learning!

As you've all said, no need to bring it up to regs, insulation may be good though as I use it as my home office and work two or three days a week out of it on average.

Sticking insulated plasterboard over will still need a finish. Which is is no harder than ripping out, insulating between studs and renewing the boards, which will need the same finish, unless you're not bothered, either way the final result is the same... all a bit chicken /egg really.

I guess that's a good point actually, either way I have to put up and finish a set of plaster boards, so all I am saving is the effort of ripping down the first layer of board and the stuffing in of insulation...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back