partition wall in bedroom sharing a window?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all :)

i'm looking for some advice pls! i'm needing to make an extra bedroom somehow, the cheapest solution would be to partition the lrg room my dd currently has. I now know that 2 fire exits are required for each of the rooms but i was wondering if it'd be possible to share the lrg window, so the stud wall or similar goes straight down the middle of the window?put a door in the stud wall then each room would then have 2 exits right?? sorry not explaine very well but i I hope that t makes some sort of sense!
:confused:

Sponsored Links
The way to comply with fire regs is to get rid of the existing door and create a lobby to provide a doorway into each room. You can only have one door between each of your bedrooms and the hallway. Assume you've got a conveniently positioned mullion to finish the end of the partition against? Windows right next to walls generally look a bit naff and you'll probably have to taper the end of the wall though curtains largely hide the junction.

Thanks for that :)

A mullion??? ive absolutley no idea what that is!! i was wondering how it could work going around the ledge etc :oops:
DIY really isnt my field!!

timthumb.php

Surely you've got a mullion?

Sponsored Links
You can't have one room exiting through another. Also each room would need it's own escape window.

You can have a partition wall dividing the window, it's just the practicalities of making it look right

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back