Party Wall Act

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would be grateful for some advice. I have an old barn in my garden which is owned by my neighbour. The wall on my side is a designated party wall and is suffering badly from mortar bee infestation which has led to severe degradation to the fabric of the wall and needs to be repaired, this has been confirmed by a structural engineer. My neighbour and I agree that it needs to be repaired but who pays the cost? My neighbour thinks it is entirely down to me, is he correct? Also, this wall is one of the supporting elements to the roof of the barn. What are my liabilities with respect to the roof?

Sponsored Links
Your post doesn't really make sense. If the barn is in your garden it must also be your barn. Just tell your neighbour to 'get of my land'. Do you mean the barn is in your neighbours garden and one wall forms the boundary with your garden? If so it's your neighbours barn, your neighbours wall and your neighbours problem.

Why do you think it is a 'designated' party wall? Where do you get that from? Do you benefit from the wall other than it being one of your boundaries?

The owner of the wall is responsible for the costs of any repairs. Shared ownership would mean shared costs

Being a party wall under the PW Act is secondary to ownership

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back