permitted development for detatched bungalow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, so as usual the government has made it as clear as mud with this one.

I have a detatched bungalow that is 78m2 which includes an extension that comes out the back 3meters and half way along the width of the bungalow. I have applied for planning permission to increase this to 4 meters and to take it right the way across the width of the bungalow, my plan was then to bring the roof right over to meet the new rear wall.

Unfortunately im covered by NewForest National park and they have said I cannot do this as my property is classed as a small dwelling :cry: But surely this is viable under the permitted Development scheme, Any Ideas pleeeeese.

Sponsored Links
If the New Forrest is a "designated area", then permitted development rights may have been removed, and you will have to apply for permission in accordance with local policy

I know that permitted development rights do apply in my area, just not sure what the limits are, can i build out 3 mters or 4 meters?

The 3 and 4m limits relate to permitted development

If there are no PD rights then you apply for whatever you like

Sponsored Links
I know that permitted development rights do apply in my area, just not sure what the limits are, can i build out 3 mters or 4 meters?

PD rights are normally allocated per dwelling and not per area, so check with your LPA to see if your property benefits from PD rights.

PD rights are normally allocated per dwelling and not per area

It's per area ... as in "designated area" or "conservation area" - and wont be recorded on the property as an Article 4 direction unless a new build

Unless I'm missing something I read the 3rd post "I know that permitted development rights do apply in my area, just not sure what the limits are, can i build out 3 mters or 4 meters?" to mean that he HAS Permitted development rights in tact!

Oh yes, sorry my computer screen displayed the wrong information :oops: :rolleyes:

He does say in the 3rd post that he has PD rights, but in the first post he says that he is in the New Forest National park - where PD rights would have been removed - and the authority have already told him that

So now I'm as confused as the OP

I've just found this document which relates to the 'small dwelling' that the council mentioned to the OP. http://www.newforestnpa.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/96096/extensionstodwellings.pdf

Skim reading it says to me that he wasn't able to extend the bungalow as the total habitable space would be over 100m2 as it's classed as a small dwelling. But if the PD rights are still in place then couldn't he extend it using his PD rights to extend as the 'small dwelling' issue wouldn't be considered?

I think the issue is that the OP applied for planning permission not a Certificate of Lawfulness. It also does depend on whether an article 4 direction was issued and if so, what PD rights have been removed.

Thoughts?

If the OP has PD rights, then he can extend the property to the limits described in the GPDO 2008, and the authority can't alter that

What that document states is that if an application for permission is made then they will take account of their policy regarding the 100m2 limit

Agreed. I think the best advice would be to use the same plans and apply for Certificate of Lawfulness instead.

If th OP has full PD rights remaining why go for PP anyway? He just needs to phone the planners, they'll soon confirm what if any rights have been removed.

PD rights are normally allocated per dwelling and not per area

It's per area ... as in "designated area" or "conservation area" - and wont be recorded on the property as an Article 4 direction unless a new build

I was referring to the OP's post (hence quoting it), not yours when he said PD rights exist for his area so they "must" exist for his property. There's an old area/estate near me. It's not a designated area nor a conservation area and all PD rights have been removed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back