Permitted development- Thye corners aren't covered?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My local council aren't doing 'pre-app' advice anymore- in desperation I am wondering if there are any other planning proffesionals out there who are having problems with 'rear corner infills' in permitted development.
And yes I've read the technical guidelines booklet on this- but its very ambiguous :confused:

- Hope you can see the attached file okay!

View media item 40243

Sponsored Links
Thanks freddy...

It seems pretty clear to me as well, but another architect/technician told this client he DIDN'T need permission, and I wanted to be 100% sure, before I started saying he was wrong!

Thanks again for looking at this!

Agree that you will need PP for this, I just had a client who required an extension to a semi. It consisted of a double storey to the side + a 3m depth single storey 'filling in the corner' to the rear.

At present the semi has a 3m depth single storey to the rear, so we we're proposing to continue on from that + 'fill in the corner'. Similar to our proposal, the Planning Officer told me 'you're not overstepping the 3m from the rear face of the dwelling rule, it's just the fact you're wanting to fill in the corner'.

I'm coming across increasing clients who are getting conflicting 'advice' on Permitted Development from designers & builders. It's becoming a bit of a potential minefield tbh. That's why I try to suggest getting something in black + white.........it not only protects the client 100% but also me as the designer.

I don't want to get into 'but you said it would be ok' scenario personally. There's plently of people who would rather do that, but not me, so good luck to them.

Sponsored Links
its the 'corner infill' issue thats nearly caught me out on two other previous submissions. But in those cases the extension wrapped around the side and back- this corner issue needs more clarification- as does the fact that a garage can count as part of 'the whole house' when viewing the PD technical guidance doc. posted by freddy in his earlier post! to make matters worse, spending cuts and thier effect on council staffing levels mean that most of my local MBCs are now either not doing pre-app advice, or they are charging for it!!

I assume the principal elevation is that to the north?

Just bear in mind the PD rules for side AND rear extensions.

There are height restrictions if you're on a boundary and it's a side extension.

Yes FMT. Granted the side and rear PD allowances have already been mentioned, but I can't see any mention of a principal elevation...

UPDATE: my potential new client has had someone else round to price for doing the drawings, -this chap works for a local authority and he has said that in october (last month) changes were made to the rules and that this project is now Permitted Development. Does anyone else know of a recent change/update to PD rights!! I've just scoured the internet for news of a PD update but can find nothing!! :?:

Also- Theres an interesting page here- but it still doesn't answer my question!
http://www.permitteddevelopment.org/The-Ambiguities-of-the-PD-Legislation.php

UPDATE: my potential new client has had someone else round to price for doing the drawings, -this chap works for a local authority and he has said that in october (last month) changes were made to the rules and that this project is now Permitted Development. Does anyone else know of a recent change/update to PD rights!! I've just scoured the internet for news of a PD update but can find nothing!! :?:

Also- Theres an interesting page here- but it still doesn't answer my question!
http://www.permitteddevelopment.org/The-Ambiguities-of-the-PD-Legislation.php[/QUOTE]
There have been no changes to my knowledge, he probably works for Planning! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Stick a copy of the relevant page out the techy guidance I linked to and shove it under the nose of your client.

I was recently involved in a similar extension, that was refused an LDC due to the "infill". As FMT said, nothing has changed and definitely not since October 2010. October 2008... yes, but not last year.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back