Planning for covered walkway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I have a detached sectional garage next to my house, about 2m away. It is a sectional garage and falls into a permitted development. Question is can I cover the area between my house and my garage? Would I need to leave both ends open or could I block one end and put a door on the other to make a secure area to store push bikes etc? Your thoughts would be gratefully received! Thank you

Sponsored Links
If the combined width of the garage and 2m walkway is more than one-half the width of the original house, it would not be permitted development.

Why didn't I think of that! Thank you for your reply, it would be approx 3/4 of the width of the house so I can't have it :(

There's nothing to say that 'you can't have it', it's just that you would need planning permission for it.
If it's not contentious - which it doesn't seem to be - you should not have any problem getting p.p.

Sponsored Links
Surely a walkway with a door on the end is not a building and therefore not an extension.

Thanks again for the replies. Long story but we actually have full pp for a single story extension which would be slightly larger than this. We aren't going ahead with the 'proper' extension as my wife has now lost her job and money is tight! Looking for a substitute until we can afford to build the proper one again!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back