proposed new build access

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone , I am new here and would be grateful for any words of wisdom .
I have a bungalow in a reasonable plot - there is more than enough space in the plot to build a mirror image bungalow and still retain a garden area for both . The problem I have is - the ideal scenario would be to have a second drive to access the new bungalow - I have not approached the council for planning at this stage but the question I have is do I apply for access across verge for driveway first or do I apply for planning for the build first ,

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
thanks - I did say I was new ! :rolleyes:

So if I apply for planning the access will be assessed at the time - do I need to do anything to help with that ? the existing access/parking MAY be adequate - but not ideal

cheers

Access (and off-street parking)will be a significant consideration of the application to build a new bungalow

You wont get permission unless the means of access and parking arrangements are acceptable, so whether the access is already in or not, wont make a difference if the planners and the highways dept don't think it is acceptable

BTW, you wont need planning permission for a new dropped kerb access unless it is off a Principle or Classified road (ie a main road) anyway. So either way it will be just one application for you. But do your enquiries regarding your proposed dropped kerb to ensure that you can have one where you want to put it

Sponsored Links
thanks ,

I am not quite sure of the correct definition for Principle or Classified road - the road has a name but has no number , so i presume that is classified ?

cheers

You probably need to google for road classifications, or your councils website normally lists them

Generally, if its just a normal housing estate road, then you wont need planning permission. If its a main route or a busy route, or buses go along it, then it may need permission

ok - will investigate that - so in your opinion should I confirm kerb/access before going further ?
or should just I go for planning for the new build and deal with it then ?
or is that too much to ask ?

thanks

The access is important, so even if it's nothing to do with planning, you still need to find out if the council highways dept will allow an access/dropped kerb in the location you want.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back