Raising height of boundary near a highway.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
A boundary of my garden is a 1.2m high wall, owned by me, abutting a small road. I want to increase my privacy, but to raise the height of the wall will need planning permission (and look wrong). I would like to erect a 1.8m high fence, on the garden side of my wall. As the fence would not abut the highway, do I need planning permission ? How close can I go to the wall before I need Planning Permission ? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes unless it's more than 2m from the road including footpath (from memory)

Hedges etc don't need permission

Sponsored Links
Yes unless it's more than 2m from the road

Where does this come from?

If you read local authorities' published planning guidance online, many seem to define "adjacent" as within 2m of the highway. Others go for 1m. Personally if you have a low wall at the boundary and put a fence behind it I don't see how the fence can be considered "adjacent" to the highway, but I suspect the council might want to argue that point with you.

Cheers
Richard

Yes unless it's more than 2m from the road

Where does this come from?

I think this was from the PP but it's down at the moment, here's a couple of council links mentioning the same though, one is a planning report...

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...YbrO1u&sig=AHIEtbSNej0jqsZnVkD_tRswBYBrG3iZAw

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...vKtgDl&sig=AHIEtbQrlBxhEqYwr-r_m5xLYpY6iunRGw

I've seen properties where they've wanted a fence more than 1m high so they set it back and gravelled "next to" the highway.

Thanks to you all for your inputs. I was hoping for a definative answer but you have confirmed my impression that it is down to local policy. I will now speak to my council as they have the final say. Thanks again.

Thanks to you all for your inputs. I was hoping for a definative answer but you have confirmed my impression that it is down to local policy. I will now speak to my council as they have the final say. Thanks again.
Before you do have a quick look on your local planning site to see if any similar applications have passed or been rejected and read the reports on them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back