Rejection of application for retention of works

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ever since I've stumbled across this forum and have been applying for various PPs myself I've developed an unhealthy fascination about the whole subject :mrgreen:

As a result if I'm bored I sometimes scan the planning applications of my council on line.

I often come across people applying for permission for 'retention of works', and I presume this is basically retrospective PP. The applications seem to be often rejected.

When these are rejected does that mean that the council we be enforcing any works done to be reversed?

Sponsored Links
Councils are under no legal obligation to take enforcement action against any breach of planning control.
However,if someone has applied for retrospective PP, it often means that the council is on their back over some unauthorized work. In practice, most councils allow people to make a planning application in these circumstances,

1. so that they can say they've been fair to the applicant if and when they serve an enforcement notice and;

2. to get their £150 fee in.

Generally, this can be a waste of money on the part of an applicant and all it does is give them a breathing space.

Retention applications are applications to extend or make permanent previous temporary permissions

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back