Replacing old airing cupboard with shower, above stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'd like to know if I'm allowed by building regs to build a 'floating' walk-in shower unit. By floating I mean the shower tray will be resting on a frame that will be built up on top of the floor joists on two sides, fixed to a brick wall on one and the fourth side might have some support under it if we're lucky.

The reason this needs to be done is because the old airing cupboard that I'll be replacing has been built to hide the angled ceiling above the stairs making it impossible to simply place a shower tray in the corner. At face value the area allowed by the destruction of the cupboard seems to be more than enough for a stepped frame, walk in shower and adequate ventilation.

I have not been able to look inside this area properly as yet but I will be going to inspect it further this weekend, and can probably bring some pictures/throw together some plans if these are needed to get a definitive answer on this matter, (I assume it is needed).

I am confident I can make it structurally sound, I would much prefer that it was both structurally and legally sound.

Thanks in advance, Aethir.

Edit: After re-reading this I decided that maybe I hadn't written this in the best way, the problem isn't if I can put a shower tray on a frame, it's if I'm allowed to have that frame floating, potentially, over some plaster board and a 7 foot fall. I'm currently not sure what's down there to build on/fix to...

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back