Replacing paving blocks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Due to a problem with a sewer under my driveway part of my driveway has subsided. The overall area of the drive is about 30 square meters and about a quarter has been affected by subsidence from the faulty drain. The sewer (a public sewer) has been repaired by the local water authority so I can now repair the driveway. (the sewer was repaired from inside a manhole and did not require the drive digging up).
However it looks like I'm going to have to replace some of the blocks but I cannot find any blocks which are anything like a match to the existing so I have considered taking up all the blocks and re-using some of them to make a patio in my back garden and buying new blocks for the front drive. Idealy I'd like to leave all the existing sub-base in place and just level out the subsided section with some new sand and then lay the new blocks.
Does this require planning permission? And if so, am I likley to get it?

Sponsored Links
No planning permission is needed as you have the drive way already.
Unfortunately that’s not the case; new regulations (2010) apply to both new & replacement driveways/paving, regardless if there was something there before. Weather or not you need to apply depends on how it;s designed, mainly the base you use; it must be permeable or have a gutter drain across the bottom of the drive feeding a soak away. The reasoning is to prevent excess surface water draining into the road & overwhelming our antiquated surface water drainage systems which is an increasing problem. A bit ironic as most of us (except the Welsh it seems) are currently approaching drought conditions!

See here;
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/pavingfrontgarden/
If unsure, phone your local LABC.

Sponsored Links
but the guidance says:

"From 1 October 2008, the Government will introduce changes to the General Permitted Development Order, making the hard surfacing of more than five square metres of domestic front gardens permitted development only where the surface in question is rendered permeable."

If it's already a paved drive, then it's not a garden, so "more than five square metres of domestic front gardens" does not apply.

Don't you mean phone your local planning authority? Building control don't control paved driveways.
Not from the planning aspect but they will most likely be the ones to talk to for advice on construction/materials used so you donlt need PP. Whatever, both are most likely at the same council office location, probably the same building; phone Planning but they may transfer you to BC.

but the guidance says:
"From 1 October 2008, the Government will introduce changes to the General Permitted Development Order, making the hard surfacing of more than five square metres of domestic front gardens permitted development only where the surface in question is rendered permeable."

If it's already a paved drive, then it's not a garden, so "more than five square metres of domestic front gardens" does not apply.
The guidance covers both new & replacement driveways; “You will not need planning permission if a new or replacement driveway of any size uses permeable (or porous) surfacing which allows water to drain through, such as gravel, permeable concrete block paving or porous asphalt, or if the rainwater is directed to a lawn or border to drain naturally.”

Arguable weather the OP is repairing or replacing & when does one become the other! As the Planning Portal says, it’s "guidance" & different LA's don't always interpret the same; that’s why I advised the OP to phone their LA. All the OP has to do is use a permeable material & there will be no problem; I’ll leave it for you to argue the logic of your interpretation with LA.

... has been affected by subsidence from the faulty drain. The sewer (a public sewer) has been repaired by the local water authority

In which case reinstatement, and/or compensation for damage should be claimed from them

Personally I don't think a lot of BC offices would spare the resources these days to advise on 'construction advice' on work they don't control.

Traditionally BC and Planning offices have been together but it depends on the LA.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back