Side house extension on top of a excess sewage culvert

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New to this forum. Apologies in advance if I am asking this question in appropriately.

I went to view a house recently with an intention to buy for my young family. One of the features that attracted me towards the property was the fact it has a garage on the side which potentially down the line could be used to extend the property.

Upon my enquiry for a possible extension I was advised it couldn't have any. Rather perplexed I enquired why, only to be advised that as there is an excess sewage culvert that runs across the side of the property all along to the back of the garden I wouldn't be able to get a planning for either a single or double story extension. It’s a first time I’ve come across such an issue. And the owners did say they haven’t enquired about planning feasibility recently and the rules may have changed.

I wonder if anyone on this forum could advise if there this is a typical issue with planners and if there are any possible ways to tackle this issue eg are there any advance construction techniques available which if shown t.o be implemented could aid the planning process. And if there might be any issues generally in buying a property that has a sewage culvert running down it's side ( be it an exess sewage culvert ).

The house was in a residential area in south of London.

Really appreciate any advice. And apologies for a rather long post.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back