Soil pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into a new build detached. My neighbour's soil and waste pipes run into my garden. The builders have raised the soil level to cover the brown sewer pipes. I am in the process of levelling my garden but in doing so I will expose the brown sewer pipes connected to the black soil and waste pipes. The builder has told me it is my responsibilty to cover these is he correct as they are not my property.

Sponsored Links
It sounds to me like poor design, in that they have deliberately raised an area to cover the pipes, probably due to limited fall issues and a poorly thought out drain system.

It is not uncommon for neighbouring pipes to cross boundaries whereby one chamber may service two houses.

You may have to leave them covered.

See what the more legally knowledgable ones say.......

I cannot claim to be certain on this, but as all sewers that serve more than one property now belong to the water authority and I would doubt that they would accept pipes that near the surface.

Sponsored Links
Your solicitor should have spotted this, contact him or the developers. It is not right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back