Staircase position

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've had an architectural guy in to discuss a loft conversion.

There's a few possibilities around dormers or just Velux windows so he suggested I get a builder in for some rough quotes before proceeding.

The first builder right away told me the place I had envisaged the new staircase to be a bad idea as it cuts across the joists rather than going in the direction of them. To be honest this makes sense.

The only other sensible place to put the stairs means they land at the foot of a window.

I've attached a couple of images. I've modelled the house to scale and stuck the stairs in. The stairs are modelled correct to the regs. There's a 900mm bannister at the 3rd tread. But the window position is a bit odd.

Hopefully looking at the pictures you can make out wtf I'm on about

Is this within the regs?

I'll be getting the architect guy back in but I'd just like a head start.

cheers.

Sponsored Links
What's going on here. Your designer is telling you to get builders in to quote on something which no one knows how it will be be built yet because there are no plans, and then the builder is telling you what he thinks should be done and not designed by the designer

The stairs look OK

Thanks Woody.

Yeah it's a bit odd. The designer guy has given me 2 quotes, 1 for an extension with Hip Dormers that would need planning and 1 with just a box dormer that would fall under PD.

I said to him it would be down to cost which one I go for so he said speak to a builder for a ball park and get back to me.

Cheers for looking at the stair position!

I see.

Well, the structural work is going to need to be determined first, and I can't see the structural work being that much different for your two options.

It's a complete waste of time getting a builder to give you a quote on something that he does not even know what is specifically involved. It could be way off and then put you off that particular design. Likewise, you may think you've gone for a cheap option, and then find it's £10k more when you get the proper quote and proper plans

Your designer should be able to tell you how much one or the other will cost to build within a few £k

Building to a budget is fine, but above that you need to ensure that you get what you actually want or need in terms of usability. And that is your designers job first and foremost .... to assess your requirements and give you a solution for your budget.

TBH, your designer sounds like just a CAD monkey with no actual design skills, and under his advice, you seem to be going about this the wrong way.

Sponsored Links
The guy actually advertises that all his drawings are done by hand!

I was hoping he'd give me more guidance tbh so I think I'll phone another firm.

cheers

Thanks Woody.

Yeah it's a bit odd. The designer guy has given me 2 quotes, 1 for an extension with Hip Dormers that would need planning and 1 with just a box dormer that would fall under PD.

!

1. Why would your hip dormer (or dormers - is there more than one?) need planning permission?

2. It chokes me to say so but the previous poster is correct; your 'designer' is doing this a**e about face.

Thanks Woody.

!

1. Why would your hip dormer (or dormers - is there more than one?) need planning permission?

2. It chokes me to say so but the previous poster is correct; your 'designer' is doing this a**e about face.

1. Plural and they would be facing a road.
2. Yeah, that seems to be the general consensus. I'll look for another.

sleptwithatradesman";p="2494761 said:
tony1851";p="2494752 said:
sleptwithatradesman";p="2494538 said:
1. Plural and they would be facing a road.
That is not relevant so long as the dormers are not on the front of the house. If you are a corner house, and your dormers would be on what would be regarded as the side of the house, you would not need pp even if they face a road.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back