U values, in particular external door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Now then, i am near to the end of a small extension and so far so good and all has been correctly followed, correct insulation in cavity walls, floors, roof and velux windows.

Now i'm struggling to find an external door that is in-keeping with the house and yet achieves a U value of 1.8. Now these seem to be either PVC (no way) or very expensive! Would BC be helpful and let me put one in to my taste but at a greater u-value say 2.4+?

My point is, is it all worth it or necessary? I mean this new extension (albeit brings much needed space) is attached to a drafty old house built with 9 inch external walls. So while the rest of the house looses heat like my wallet looses cash, is the sake of a 1.8w/m2k door really going to matter? Not had a problem with my BCO and found him helpful but he's away at the moment and was after some thoughts on this so i can ask him on his return.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Normal procedure is to compensate for the 2.4 u-value by increasing something elsewhere. i.e. you might put in a bit of extra roof insulation. Technically you should have a SAP calculation done to show the actual compensation but this is a very minor point and if it is the only outstanding issue I would expect most experienced inspectors to come to some agreement with you.

Aye have a word and see what he says. Commons sense would prevail in an ideal word but you'll have to see.

Sponsored Links
Cheers for the input guys. Must of caught him on good morning!! Actually scrap that because he has been good, informative and approachable (old school). You BCO's are all right, its not true what they say!!!! Basically with all things considered (insulation qualities up to present and what its joined onto) he is willing to relax this condition on the basis i don't take the.......!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back