Would this count as permitted development?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thinking about building on top of existing 1st floor extension. Don't want to block all light off next door so had the following idea. Basically extend the roof slope down and add two dormers. Existing extension projects by approx 3.6 metres and it will involve a change in roof slope where the new roof meets the existing.

Thanks in advance for any views and opinions expressed

Sponsored Links
Under PD you are limited to a depth of 3m for two storey rear extensions. And the roof pitch must match the existing.

I'm not convinced your proposals are the best for your house, you or your neighbours either.

Permission WILL be required, and most likely will not be granted, due to the grotty appearance of the finished building, and it will still block plenty of light for your neighbour, who will object.

Also consider just what this will achieve - your bathroom and the other upstairs room will be very long and thin, and will be as dark as a coal shed.

Sponsored Links
Permission WILL be required, and most likely will not be granted, due to the grotty appearance of the finished building, and it will still block plenty of light for your neighbour, who will object.

Also consider just what this will achieve - your bathroom and the other upstairs room will be very long and thin, and will be as dark as a coal shed.

Have you got any clue at all about planning matters?

Interesting difference of opinion here! We will be looking to keep the light loss to a minimum for our neighbours. We only want the dormers to go out to about 2.5 metres externally, not the full 3.6 metres. Also we are hoping to slope the ceilings of the dormers on three sides so we can keep the dormer ridge height as low as possible. The dormers will be tiled and in a sympathetic style to the original building (dutch hip). Can only look better than the existing flat roof (built under planning in 1972) which is awful. Steve.

You will need PP due to projection being more than 3m. I'd be asking whether the significant amount of work involved would be worth the result. I have my doubts. Your neighbour has extended into the roof. Have you considered that option? More work I know but might be a better result.

Agree that it's a lot of work but believe that most of the structure is in place already as the original intention in 1972 was to build another storey above but that never happened. We believe that there is a big steel already in place across the window span capable of supporting brick and also that 8x2 joists are in place with an independent ceiling below that. The rest of the structure will be in timber/tile and a few bricks up the right hand side so should be doable for <20k. IF it turns out that it would cost a lot more than this then we will not be going ahead with it. Already going into the loft in September and that's going to cost a lot more than 20k! Steve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back