Air brick extensions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 air bricks on my house, that when I build the extension will themselves need to be extended to the new outside walls.

Is there a standard way of doing this?

Currently the air bricks are right under the damp course level on the house and id I extended them as is, then the new concrete floor screed would have no cover at all. So I'm going to lower them by a single brick as I have room for this.

Would it be OK to put them to the nearest outside wall, on the side, or do them have to go to the new back wall, which would be a longer run?

Sponsored Links
Go to the nearest outside wall.

You can use either 110mm drain pipe or flat ducting.

There are telescopic air vent ducts available that will enable you to duct vertically form the sub floor.

vent1.jpg

You really need direct through-ventilation, so the airbricks should go on opposite walls (ie front and back of house) not turned 90° to a side wall

Don't lower airbricks, just knock a hole lower down (at hardcore level) and slide your 100mm drain pipe right through, then gob it up to make good

Use those ducts as per above, but connect the pipe to the duct with a proper round-to-rectangle adapter

Thanks guys, has great and I'll duct right through

100mm pipe might be an issue though, due to it's large size. I want the new air bricks to be just a brick down from the damp course and 110mm migh be an issue. Once I have he 150mm of hardcore in place, then the 100 of concrete, I'm left with 70mm of celotex and 65mm screed. There wont be much cover over the top of the pipe if I lay it onto the concrete

Sponsored Links
Go to the nearest outside wall.

You can use either 110mm drain pipe or flat ducting.

There are telescopic air vent ducts available that will enable you to duct vertically form the sub floor.

vent1.jpg

Can this ducting go down beween the cavity of the two foundation walls, then duct fully through to the original wall? The 2 foundation walls will be filled with a lea mix anyway

As it's said, a picture paints a thousand words, than you very much, I can 'see' it now

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back