Cavity wall inner skin - which blocks to use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. Our building regs states our inner skin should be 100mm Fibrolite or similar approved. It does not state the required strength i.e. 3.6 or 7.2N.

I would like to gain the benefit of someone's practical experience compared to internet theory!

For a residential 2 storey would you recommend using 7N blocks? I understand that Fibrolite's are classified as medium density. I am struggling to get to grips with the trade off between the insulation benefits (and practical handling) of a aerated lightweight block versus the fact that these blocks (I understand?) can be brittle and not ideally suited to hanging kitchen cabinets/TV's etc.

Finally "similar approved"...are there any non brand blocks with suitable properties that would save me a few pennies. If you know a cheap supplier in the Kent / South East area that would be an added bonus!

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer.

Michael

Sponsored Links
Google celcon they are one of the most common blocks of this kind they would be able to tell you which product to choose more than I can. Fixing into them is no different to fixing in ordinary bricks just keep the fixing away from the edges, timber pads where radiators go can be used dabs in areas that fixings go, plug and scrws,frame anchors,thunder bolts

3.5n fibolites or similar are ideal.

Celcon or similar aerated blocks are ok but are prone to cracking due to shrinkage or thermal movement. You would need to ensure that masonry is kept dry throughout the build. Difficult in this country at the best of times.

3.5n fibolites or similar are ideal.

Celcon or similar aerated blocks are ok but are prone to cracking due to shrinkage or thermal movement. You would need to ensure that masonry is kept dry throughout the build. Difficult in this country at the best of times.

Thank you for your help. So 3.5N are sufficient strength even for an inner skin on a double storey?

Sponsored Links
A lot of builders have moved away from using AAC blocks because of shrinkage cracking, poor adhesion etc, but if you don't use too strong a mix when laying them you can avoid the problems.
It's just a case of looking around for a good deal on them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back