Condensation in Loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
Last weekend (Sunday) we had a frost. Wnet in the loft that morning and found the tiling underfelt (early 70's house, so bitumen based and not breathable) wet with small drops of moisture on the underfelt across the north facing slope of the roof - the coldest surface. This is a detached house, standard brick build with cavity (foam insulation by previous owners years ago). The trusses were also damp where they touch the underfelt and PVC cables lying on top of the insulation also had condensation on them. Never seen this in the 12 years we have lived there and very worrying.

Had builder friend round who has suggested soffit vents to be added front and back to provide cross flow ventilation. The loft is not vented at all at present. How many soffit vents (the 70mm circular ones) and how close together?)

He's also suggesting we might want to up the insulation as at present its up to the top of the joists, but not over them also to current standards. However from reading many many thread over the past week I'm concerned that upping the insulation without improving the ventilation will cause a bigger condensation problem as the loft will get colder!

I thnk the soffit vents will help as I've spoken with www.roofconsult.co.uk, wjo also agreed good first step to try, folowed by tile vents high up to the ridge if this doesnt improve.

So what's changed recently:
1. Bathroom re-fit last summer (massive problems but another story!). Now has IP/fire rated downlighters, which although glass enclosed and sealed to ceiling with rubber washer, have open backs in the loft for heat to escape and have had to have the insulation pulled back from around them. Builder is proposing plaster board boxes around these with manufacurers recommended clearances before insulating over the top of them (I know this wont prevent water vapour rising, but pressumably it will stop the heat rising up).

2. Bathroom fan installed which goes out through the sofit. Seems to perform OK and religiously used - boys are showering more in there now. Wasnt leaving it over-running long, now understand I should let it over-run 20 mins and also now doing same with our en-suite shower. Very hard to check now if its properly taped up to the sofit extract connector, but may just have to take it apart from outside to check.

So bathroom(s) probably generating steam. We also leave windows open while showering, so with that and fans running I would hope we get rid of a lot of it?

We also leave bedroom windows open at night for fresh air unless its blowing a gale/pouring rain.

No drying clothes draped about house although it does go on clothes horse in small extension, that has a gas fire in - put on to help dry it. Suspect that is generating moisture so told wife to open a window and close the door when doing this.

We were drying some wet cloths in the airing cupboard ahead of noticing this and that probably also contributes. Pipe holes up from airing cupboard to be filled this weekend and habbit stopped.

No vapour membrane over bathroom ceilings (70's house!), probably not helping, so somehting to think about, but how would I install this with the recessed downlighters?

Cold and CH expansion tanks are insulated and doesnt appear to be any plumbing problems in the loft. The cold tank is actually raised on a platform, quite high on the trusses. It rests on a plywood base, but has no bottom insulation - wonder if I should do that (if so what with?). Also concerned increasing more ventilation at the soffits will make the loft colder (it feels cold now) and introduce a freezing threat to the told tank - am I going too far with that?

Sorry lost to consider - any thoughts gratefully appreciated.

Sponsored Links
In addition to the information in that link. I would seriously check the seal of that extractor fan and pipe which I assume goes via the loft before venting. It is why I prefer wall extractors really. But if it is tightly sealed, you should be ok. Also check any other seals, lights etc...

If any water vapour is escaping from the bathroom into the loft, that will be a major contributor to the condensation....

Thanks I can't feel any air leakage at the fan with it running however ducting is the type with insulation in it. Inner foil has holes then insulation then outer foil. Concerned this is leaking vapour even though I can't feel it. Manufacturer says it's fine for bathroom use but have my doubts. Also vents out through soffit and that bothers me in that the warm moist air can get back in the loft at the eaves regardless of whether it's properly taped to the connector there. If we put Soffit vents in worried this will Make prob even worse rather than better as when the fan is used the warm air from the vent will go up through the soffit vents. Don't know what to do. Any experts able to help in Essex area? Downlightrers I suspect also but how would we remove them and repair ceiling

Sponsored Links
Does the duct vent out of the soffit fascia (outwards), or where the vents would be (downwards). If it's venting outwards, it should be ok; if it goes down (and you have soffit vents), it could easily rise through the vent in still air, or be blown up with the wind.

Regarding the down-light holes, those are easily filled in. Take a piece of scrap plasterboard (or thin wood) and screw it across the hole; you can do this from below with pre-drilled holes, or from above. You can then fill the gap; if you're worried about grip on large holes, you could probably put a screw through the middle before filling - but I didn't bother.

Water vapour will get into your loft whatever you do - short of a quality vapour barrier. You wouldn't notice it most of the time but it is there. As a surveyor I regularly check loft timbers and often find them well over the recommended MC. 90% of the time there is no visible sign. It only takes small change in conditions to suddenly start seeing water condensing out. Ventilation is the first step. Soffit vents are fairly easy to fit and are usually very effective.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back