damp on wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there,

can anyone give me a pointer about a touch of damp that has risen in my downstairs toilet? I had a new sink and cabinet fitted around the pipes and all was ok for around a year and a half. Then I noticed a slight smell in the room and noticed the pipes were condensating so I wrapped them in insulation.But the wall is now soaking wet ,have checked all pipework and they seem ok although the waste going through the wall was a little wet at the base but I have run water after drying it all out with cloths and is still dry.Its a breezeblock wall and we have no radiator in there.[/b]

Sponsored Links
I'm wondering if the breeze blocks are in fact concrete blocks. Aerated concrete blocks (todays breeze block) are full of entrapped air (as the name suggests) and therefore should not cause condensation, which your problem suggests.
You could have a look at installing a humidity vent, which works by utilising a moisture control membrane. Here's a link to one - http://www.rhldirect.com/vapour-vent/ ...pinenot :)

Thanks Pinenot,

I forgot to mention on the other side of the wall there is a dishwasher and washing machine in the kitchen area would this have anything to with maybe adding heat to the cold wall and then causing condensation in the toilet?The vent looks like a great idea by the way

Sponsored Links
Its a screeded floor -have had appliances running today and checked all pipework and its all fine.There is a little bit of moisture on top of the screed behind the block wall and on the base of the wall..now I'm thinking I might have a leak under the floor.

Thanks Pinenot,

I forgot to mention on the other side of the wall there is a dishwasher and washing machine in the kitchen area would this have anything to with maybe adding heat to the cold wall and then causing condensation in the toilet?The vent looks like a great idea by the way

Assuming there's sufficient air gap between these units and the wall that shouldn't cause much fluctuation in the walls heat. How's the drier vented though, as that may have an effect??
Re the under floor leak, obviously that has to be investigated first and foremost...pinenot :)

Have had another look and am going to get the waste replaced that goes through the wall..that may be the culprit as that's the wetest place..thanks for all your kind help

Before you rip everything out, turn the water on and stick your head under the worktop or whatever and see if you can see where the water is coming from, it might be running down the pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back