Damp Part 2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well further to my previous post i'm now in my new home, that has a some damp issues.

The survey has said it's rising damp and that it needs to be investigated.

I've stripped the walls and exposed the plaster and the damp is clearly viasble as it's the salts coming through on the chimney breast. I'm not sure what the black type stuff on the wall is but i'm presuming its a previous attempt to fix the problem.

My plan is to dig up the concrete floor and relay, just wondering how deep i have to dig and also if the damp proof creams are better than the stuff that goes in the bricks.
GALLERY]

GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
Is it a outside wall ?
If so- start investigating by removing a few bricks at DPC level from the outside and clean out the sooty mess. Make sure you have several plastic bags at hand to put the crap in which you will find in the cavity.

it's an inside wall, it forms the parity wall with the next doors house. Still think the caviety is the likely cause?

Sponsored Links
it's an inside wall, it forms the parity wall with the next doors house. Still think the caviety is the likely cause?
No- not at all- start by taking a look at chimney stack, flashing, roof, etc etc - and also have a look in loft area --and also have a word with neighbours - and ask them if they have a problem .

I should also have said that inside wall will be solid brick wall.
So- irrespective of what you find on roof or loft space-- -your best bet is to knock off all the plaster on and around chimney breast asap-because it will be 'goosed' and get some heat into the house -help it all to dry out- take plaster off to a height of 3' (Just less than 1 metre for younger people).
Meanwhile- investigate the things I've said.
Rip off old skirting boards in the area and 'skip em'.
DO NOT- try and economise by keeping them--it's your home and you may as well do the job right.
Let us all know how you are getting on - and whatecer you do- steer clear if DPC firms telling you a injection will cure it- because it most certainly will not.
You willget lots of unbiased help on here- and best of all- its free.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back