Damp Patch On Bedroom Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I noticed yesterday that there is a damp patch above the bedroom door. Before I go any further I better explain ... This house was originally a 1950's 2 bed house, but the person my partner bought it off added an extension, the bedroom being part of it. Not sure how old the extension is mind you.

Anyway, it is right above the door, not a huge, damp patch close to the ceiling. My partner went up into the attic to check if there was any dampness or possible leaks and after a quick and fairly thorough check (as he had to get back to work) could not feel any dampness in the area in case something was leaking down from the roof.

I am a bit baffled as to what it is as I am not like minded in that sense. There is no damp patches on the other side of the wall in the hallway, just the bedroom. I took a quick gander to the roof outside, and couldn't feel or see anything out of place.

Something is getting in somewhere but we cannot work it out as to where ... :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
it may well be the lack of a cavity tray when the extension was built.

Does this doorway go through the original house cavity wall?

Sponsored Links
If it is then a cavity tray or lack of one is a strong possibility.

Basically driving rain hits the outer leaf brick) of the cavity wall and slightly penetrates if persistant and heavy enough. It then runs down the inside of this wall. This is what is supposed to happen in cavitiy walls and is not a problem.

But when you put a new opening through a wall you need to put a cavity tray in to catch this water.

It is often ommited because they are a bit of a pain and often the section of wall exposed is quite small and if in a sheltered location the chances of the rain being heavy and driving against the wall are quite small so they don;t bother.

It will show itself by water coming in the reveal of the door.

There are other more obvious possibilities to check first such as leaking gutters, bad pointing etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back