DPM for existing Garage concrete floor.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a double garage that I use as woodworking/DIY workshop and notice tools becoming that 'hazed rust'. Planes/Table Saw/Hand saws etc.

I built the garage & bungalow some 24+ years ago so I know there is no DPM other than, as required at the time, under the 4" brickwork.

So! I intend to treat the floor with liquid DPM and then cover with a screed but, I only have about 50mm from existing concrete to the top of door frame sill/threshold.

With only 50mm which is best for 'screed'? sand & cement or concrete?
Or, is there a better method to achieve getting DPM across the entire floor.

arryB

Sponsored Links
Will be interested in the outcome, given I have a similar issue with a tin garage build on a slab. Obviously also not helped by it being tin.

Daniel

Will be interested in the outcome, given I have a similar issue with a tin garage build on a slab. Obviously also not helped by it being tin.

Daniel

I imagine the condensation in a corrugated iron garage must be more like ‘dripping wet’ than just ‘moisture’ and I think if I had that degree of problem I would replace the garage with ‘insulated cavity/brick built’. May sound extreme but otherwise you could end up paying out the equivalent amount and still have problems.

My real query, having been out of the building trade so long, is regarding up to date methods and effective materials. Hopefully, a practicing fella out there someplace who knows the answer.

Good luck with whatever you do.

arryB

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back