Garage Internal Wall - Lintel advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm doing a bit of work in my garage and want to cut a hatch into the internal wall (building a bar area - The galley section will be the working bit of the bar)

Please see attached link:

https://plus.google.com/photos/1048...s/6004762637951517009?authkey=CM_c0vTOiNSN8QE

So, I've just had the roof redone decking/EPDM and want to make sure that I don't upset the settle of the roof.

I'm assuming I need a lintel to span from where the cut brick is in pics one and across the non-painted area (which will be the opening)

The others show the beams - above this is a flat roof 18mm decking and EPDM.

Can anyone advise what will be the safest way to go about this? And also what's the best way to cut the hatch. Is is best to chisel it out or use some sort of power saw.

Any advice gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
Prop the ceiling joists using a plank at right-angles to the joists, supported on 2 acrow props.

Cut the wall using a grinder & finish off with hammer & bolster. Or even better a petrol saw with 300mm blade.

Take the 3 courses of brick down, put a 140x100mm concrete lintel over the opening and re-brick upto the ceiling joists. :)

Sponsored Links
Thats great. Many thanks.

Now youve broke it down, it seems straightforward. Easy when you know how - as my dad says. :D

Thanks again. :cool:

Loz.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back