DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Howdens kitchens

Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
spada01

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:39 am Reply with quote

I do various bits of building work and have fitted about 8 Ikea kitchens for clients - they've been delighted and despite cabinet space at back we've always got them in well.

We've now been asked to supply and fit a Howdens kitchen. Never used them, know they're big with builders and ready assembled. Is it going to be a big learning curve working with Howdens cabinets and no doubt they do things differently or should thei be no trickier than an Ikea kitchen?

We actually quite like Ikea being a fair price, rather than having to try to haggle our way with prices at Howdens.
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
noseall

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:22 pm Reply with quote

A fitter i know said that the ikea fellas were trickier to fit than a 'standard' kitchen due to the lack of dead-space at the back or the base units.

I doubt Ikea can compete with Howdens price wise.
 Alert Moderators
yeme1

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote

Howdens are really practical but quite a limited range. Not bad quality but as they're ready assembled it definately makes for a quick installation.
 Alert Moderators
spada01

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:13 pm Reply with quote

noseall wrote:
A fitter i know said that the ikea fellas were trickier to fit than a 'standard' kitchen due to the lack of dead-space at the back or the base units.

I doubt Ikea can compete with Howdens price wise.

That surprises me. I've always found Ikea very good and Howdens seemed to be one of these different prices for every customer shops. They talked about 30% off straight away then moved it to 40 and it didn't inspire confidence.
 Alert Moderators
noseall

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:50 pm Reply with quote

spada01 wrote:
That surprises me. I've always found Ikea very good and Howdens seemed to be one of these different prices for every customer shops. They talked about 30% off straight away then moved it to 40 and it didn't inspire confidence.

You may be right Spada as i'm not au-fait with kitchens particularly, only that the trade discount from Howdens seemed good as well as the service.

The guy i know who fitted the Ikea fella fitted it in his own home and he is a fuss-pot. I guess that is testament enough (for me) to imply Ikea quality is decent.
 Alert Moderators
browfish

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:15 pm Reply with quote

You need to set up decent terms with howdens. If they tell you that when you buy a lot then you can have good discounts, tell them that unless they give you good discounts, you cant buy alot.

I get 70% off units, 80% off panels/plinths etc, 60% off worktops. These are the figures i would aim for. Anyone get better than me?
 Alert Moderators
spada01

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:17 pm Reply with quote

browfish wrote:
You need to set up decent terms with howdens. If they tell you that when you buy a lot then you can have good discounts, tell them that unless they give you good discounts, you cant buy alot.

I get 70% off units, 80% off panels/plinths etc, 60% off worktops. These are the figures i would aim for. Anyone get better than me?

I know two guys with Howdens accounts - a builder and a carpenter who does quite a few kitchens. Both are on 70% discounts
 Alert Moderators
bobby spray

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:29 am Reply with quote

theuy offered me 80% withough even asking and said that they'd come down more icon_eek.gif
 Alert Moderators
royboywales

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:22 pm Reply with quote

Ikea are o.k but I would never fit one in a house that does not have cavity walls, There is far too little service area at the back and does not leave solid walls "breath"

Howdens are not for the average d.i.y'r as the do not supply any instructions for fitting the different types of hinges or other odds and sods. Their cabs are great though.

Thier worktop bolts are amazing too, tightned in a couple of seconds with a cordless drill. I think they are called "zip bolts"
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Building All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: