Howdens kitchens

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I do various bits of building work and have fitted about 8 Ikea kitchens for clients - they've been delighted and despite cabinet space at back we've always got them in well.

We've now been asked to supply and fit a Howdens kitchen. Never used them, know they're big with builders and ready assembled. Is it going to be a big learning curve working with Howdens cabinets and no doubt they do things differently or should thei be no trickier than an Ikea kitchen?

We actually quite like Ikea being a fair price, rather than having to try to haggle our way with prices at Howdens.

Sponsored Links
A fitter i know said that the ikea fellas were trickier to fit than a 'standard' kitchen due to the lack of dead-space at the back or the base units.

I doubt Ikea can compete with Howdens price wise.

Howdens are really practical but quite a limited range. Not bad quality but as they're ready assembled it definately makes for a quick installation.

A fitter i know said that the ikea fellas were trickier to fit than a 'standard' kitchen due to the lack of dead-space at the back or the base units.

I doubt Ikea can compete with Howdens price wise.

That surprises me. I've always found Ikea very good and Howdens seemed to be one of these different prices for every customer shops. They talked about 30% off straight away then moved it to 40 and it didn't inspire confidence.

Sponsored Links
That surprises me. I've always found Ikea very good and Howdens seemed to be one of these different prices for every customer shops. They talked about 30% off straight away then moved it to 40 and it didn't inspire confidence.
You may be right Spada as i'm not au-fait with kitchens particularly, only that the trade discount from Howdens seemed good as well as the service.

The guy i know who fitted the Ikea fella fitted it in his own home and he is a fuss-pot. I guess that is testament enough (for me) to imply Ikea quality is decent.

You need to set up decent terms with howdens. If they tell you that when you buy a lot then you can have good discounts, tell them that unless they give you good discounts, you cant buy alot.

I get 70% off units, 80% off panels/plinths etc, 60% off worktops. These are the figures i would aim for. Anyone get better than me?

You need to set up decent terms with howdens. If they tell you that when you buy a lot then you can have good discounts, tell them that unless they give you good discounts, you cant buy alot.

I get 70% off units, 80% off panels/plinths etc, 60% off worktops. These are the figures i would aim for. Anyone get better than me?

I know two guys with Howdens accounts - a builder and a carpenter who does quite a few kitchens. Both are on 70% discounts

Ikea are o.k but I would never fit one in a house that does not have cavity walls, There is far too little service area at the back and does not leave solid walls "breath"

Howdens are not for the average d.i.y'r as the do not supply any instructions for fitting the different types of hinges or other odds and sods. Their cabs are great though.

Thier worktop bolts are amazing too, tightned in a couple of seconds with a cordless drill. I think they are called "zip bolts"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back