Multi-Fuel / Wood burner install hell.

imk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
So I would like to have fitted a Multi-Fuel / Wood burner stove in a smokeless zone and after much research and talking to shops and HETAS installers. I am so confused that I am thinking of just bricking up the hole where the fire place was removed from and putting a jug of flowers on the hearth.

(1) Two HETAS installers/shops tell me I HAVE to have a dual skin 6” fuel from a 5” stove. So I show them the photos and the detailed measurements (160mmx250mm chimney) I have made of the flue and explain to them it is too narrow to take a 6” flue pipe also the chimney has a bend in it half way up and they will never get a 6” dual skin down it. Oh well then under those circumstances you will HAVE to have a flexible 5” single skin lines.

(2) Two other HETAS installers tell me I have a perfectly good external brick built chimney that is in good order and has worked perfectly with a coal/smokeless fuel open fire for the last fifty years. So I don’t need a liner they just put the stove pipe through the registration plate and back seal it with vermiculite V shaped wedge that steers any debris that drops back into the stove. Or the T piece if the stove is rear flue’d.

(3) Another HETAS installer tells me that liners are only guaranteed for 10 years and therefore maybe prone to problems in the long terms. So you’re better off with your good old chimney that will probably if regularly checked/maintained last the life of the house.

Then when I finally find a stove that fits my requirements. The install instructions says solution (2) can not be implemented as the end of the pipe must be 3” from the chimney wall. Maybe the vermiculite V shape will full fill this requirement?

Any ideas what going?

Been HET-AS'sed

Tried to add picture but this alBUM does not seems to work

Sponsored Links
A jug of flowers is nice to come home to in the summer, as for winter though...

I reckon the first bunch are just trying to flog you extra liner that you probably don't need.

There's little thickness difference in single or double skin, and you defo cant use single skin for a woodburner AFAIK. That said your chimney should be uniform in diameter all the way up, and flexi liner is designed to go around bends. Are you sure twinwall pipe and flexi liner aren't being mixed up?

Get a chimney sweep to inspect the chimney, and a certificate that will make it clear whether or not the existing chimney is usable.

Read those instructions again, if the chimney will be used unlined, then the flue shouldn't be closer than 3", it should go up pretty much central to the reg. plate.

and you defo cant use single skin for a woodburner

Not even a stainless liner?.

I shouldn't think they'll have too much trouble installing a 5" liner. Which they can if you're fitting a DEFRA approved stove.

Hello and many thanks for the input.

Seems the installer's did not listen to me when I told them my chimney dims which are about 160mmX250mm basically if I put the stove flue pipe up the middle of this chimney there is only about 10mm or so to front and back of chimney wall. It was only when I read the install specs of the stove that fits the old fireplace hole in the wall did I pick this up.

As far as liners are concerned; do they do other than stainless steel ones?
Also what is the expected life of liners?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Deluks is correct it should be twin skinned which I confused with twin wall :oops:

You can get aluminium liners but they must only be used on gas fires approved by the manufacturer.

Single skin Stainless steel liners are the cheapest form of lining, are good for burning wood (on a DEFRA approved stove for smokless zones). They last between 10 and 20 years but their life can be reduced if smokless coal is being used due to their corrosive properties (some are more corrosive than others). Grade 904 lasts longer than 316.

Lining is expensive, is debatable but of course should be done if there are signs of flue gases leaking due to the generally poor condition of a chimney, in which expert advice should be sought.

If the chimney was built outside and is not lined/insulated the flue will be prone to condensation, being directly exposed to the cold. If it was built on an outside wall but with the chimney breast inside the room, it will keep more of it's heat (I am not including the chimney stack that goes above the roof). Lining and insulating a brick chimney does have advantages but also has it's disadvantages (please see link below, last comment).

http://www.greenbuildingforum.co.uk/newforum/comments.php?DiscussionID=2937

Hello,
So I would like to have fitted a Multi-Fuel / Wood burner stove in a smokeless zone and after much research and talking to shops and HETAS installers. I am so confused that I am thinking of just bricking up the hole where the fire place was removed from and putting a jug of flowers on the hearth.

Completely understand your frustration. We had a similar experience when we got 4 Hetas quotes to fit a twin walled flue system in earlier this year. All contradicted themselves on how it should be done. Went with who we felt made the most sense. Have now found out that even though we have a Completion Certificate from them, the install is not Build Reg compliant, as they have put in a 5 inch flue, when it should be a 6 inch one to comply with regs. We have just sent off a letter to the installers to inform them of their mistake.
Hetas didn't seem interested. Said technically it is wrong, but not dangerous if swept regularly, and perhaps we'd like to inform the installers, so they don't make the same mistake again. :rolleyes:
I said that insurance companies get out of paying claims on technicalities...

Our last install was like you're trying to do, but 20 years ago, before Hetas existed. Had an experienced company come, sweep our chimney, drop a liner down, and connect it all up in half a day. Used the woodburner pretty much for 12 hours a day for 4-5 months of the year for 15 years. Had the chimney swept one a year. All worked fine from day one. Sometimes I think we now have too much information to hand, and it just confuses the situation! :confused:

Hope all turns out ok for you. At the end of all this, there really is nothing like sitting in front of a stove on a cold winters night! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back