new extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbour is building a new extension on the rear which will adjoin our party wall. he has suggested it will be a timber frame single story and as such he doesn't need proper foundations as a concrete slab will suffice.

is that correct and if so should I have any concerns about the slab affecting the party wall which is about 2m high.

TIA

Sponsored Links
it needs foundations - end of.

Does this bloke realise there is a roof to carry as well as walls?

He may get away with a reinforced raft. However, if he thinks that building on the edge of a simple slab of concrete is ok, then he is in for a shock. B.C. will pi$$ themselves.

should I have any concerns about the slab affecting the party wall which is about 2m high.
You should have concerns that he's planning to do building work when he doesn't know what he's doing and doesn't intend to apply for Building Regulations approval.

Has he served you a notice as per the Party Wall Act?

should I have any concerns about the slab affecting the party wall which is about 2m high.
You should have concerns that he's planning to do building work when he doesn't know what he's doing and doesn't intend to apply for Building Regulations approval.

Has he served you a notice as per the Party Wall Act?

If he's building the extension on a slab, he wouldn't need to apply the PWA because his excavation will almost certainly not go below the level of the underside of the footing of the 2m boundary wall.

Sponsored Links
it needs foundations - end of.

Does this bloke realise there is a roof to carry as well as walls?

He may get away with a reinforced raft. However, if he thinks that building on the edge of a simple slab of concrete is ok, then he is in for a shock. B.C. will pi$$ themselves.

How do we know B/C will even get to see an application? It might be a conservatory for all we know.

Would a reasonable person build an extension to the house in timber frame, on a slab, and open this structure to the house via a permanent opening?

I suspect not - that's why I wondered if it was to be a conny.

But this debate is pointless because we have not been told one way or the other.

If I were you I would write to the council and or your local planning department and inform them of your neighbours intensions and express your concerns.

I'm sure that they will make enquires of there own and your neighbour would then have to comply to any rules and regs that will apply if any.

You don't want problems in future, your neighbours construction may devalue your own property and or make it difficult for you in future to move house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most councils planning Departments offer a:

"Pre Planning Application Service" in the form of a "Do I need planning permission?" application form.

Sometimes this is free, other councils charge a very small fee.

Get your local council to send you both a form, you need one so that you'll then know for yourself what's expected of your neighbour.

They may decide he does need planning permission, they will also decide if building regs are required too. They may decide that he doesn't need planning permission but will require to comply / work to building regs.

But at the end of the day you and your neighbour know what is required.

Let your local council decide and make the decisions for you.

I have a gut feeling that as soon as your neighbour knows that your local council are involved or have been informed, nothing will happen.

Get your local councils planning department involved, he will then have to be very clear about what his intensions are / what he wants to build and they will decide for you whether planning permission is required and if Building Regs are required too.

Your councils planning department and building control are in place for exactly these situations, let them decide what he can and cannot do.

If he has to submit a planning application then you have an opportunity to express your concerns, ask questions and or object, your choice.

But whatever happens you then know that whatever happens it will be done properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back