Possible Rising Damp but not sure...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a front room downstairs which we redecorated last year but over the recent months three areas of the wall just above the skirting have developed discoloration of the emulsion.

The wall doesn't *seem* damp and in fact we sanded back to the plasterwork then re-primed and repainted. But whatever we do, the discoloration comes back even after a day of repainting the areas. These areas haven't spread however.

We're about to market the property for sale but obviously concerned that we have a potential 'showstopper' on our hands. What course of action would you advise? Sorry no pics but can add these if this helps.

Sponsored Links
subzero, hi

A few photos of the internal damage and also the outside walls could be a help

If you can please add some pics?

Ken

Thanks for the response chaps, interesting links there. I will take some photos in the morning and post them up. For info, the areas affected are on the inside walls not the outside wall which is fine.

Sponsored Links
Maybe, read up and use the Search facility for similar situations. It will help you supply appropriate information about your situation.

Rising damp does exist, its capillary action by another name but most damp is either penetrating damp or condensation.

IMG_1445.JPG

This sopping wet wall was found in Norfolk - above a LOVELY, and completely useless injection damp course. Notice how the wall is dry beneath the injection holes, and wet above them... Best example I've ever seen of the 'Fraud Of Rising Damp'

Architects Journal 2009:
“Rising damp is as rare as rocking horse s**t!!”
Elaine Blackett-Ord, Conservation Architects, Cumbria: also chair of the Register of Architects Accredited in Building Conservation

Architects Journal 2009:
“Stephen Boniface, former chairman of the construction arm of the Royal
Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), has told the Institute’s 40,000 members that ‘true rising damp’ is a myth and chemically injected damp proof courses (DPC) are “a complete waste of money”.

“Rising Damp is a figment of building surveyors imagination – it doesn’t exist!”
Peter Ward, Heritage House Builders, Shropshire

Your better hope your buyers don't employ the services of their local RICS surveyor and his trusty moisture meter. After all if he didn't have one, he'd have to figure out what was really happening himself instead of using the blanket term, rising damp.

For goodness' sake - why do threads such as this always end up as a 'rising-damp-does-not-exist' rant.
It's just one of those attention-grabbing fads put about by people who should know better.

Oddly, they are the same people who deny climate change. :confused:

Ok well I painted over these areas once more in desperate hope but doesn't make any difference. No point trying a different colour either as I expect the results will be the same.

Is it worth taking the plaster off in one of the affected areas?

How would you tackle this problem?

We don't know if your wall has a damp-proof course or not. If not built with one, has a chemical dpc been applied later?

On the other hand, the damp patches you see may not necessarily be rising damp at all but could be salt contamination brought up into the wall and plaster.
These salts are hygroscopic and will attract moisture from the air and can be mistaken for rising damp.

Ok well I painted over these areas once more in desperate hope but doesn't make any difference. No point trying a different colour either as I expect the results will be the same.

Is it worth taking the plaster off in one of the affected areas?

How would you tackle this problem?

Find the cause.

Oh, and of course, it won't be rising damp.

I suppose rising damp could exist but in 45 years in the trade I have never come across it.

Start by looking at the outside of the property, then lift a few floorboards, etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back