Putting a channel in Screed Garage Floor - conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Im going to put a DPM down, 100mm Celotex then screed on top (probably another 100mm) with Chicken wire placed down to help avoid breaking.

My question is could I make a frame to create a channel in the screed to run the radiator pipes along, rather than just immersing them in screed?

I could then run the pipes under the "floor level" (will have laminate on it) and still have future access "if" required

Would than comply with Building Regs - pipes will be insulated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes you can.

If the screed is 100mm thick then fix a couple of rails to the sub floor say 75mm thick. These should be fixed so that they are dead level, packing them where there are any hollows.

Then screw a couple of removable battens to the rails to get you up to the intended finished screed height, so that when the floor is finally screeded these battens can be removed so that you can then fix ply over the rails to the finished floor height.

Some builders may fix the rails so that they are at finished screed height than fix support battens to the sides of the rails to take the ply.

I prefer the first method.

We have also used left over polystyrene or celotex to create a removable shutter former, allowing us to make troughs in the screed for shower wastes etc.

Noseall
THANKS!

Its just If I submerge them in screed its sods law Ill be digging the floor up later to get to them :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back