question about fitting a built in gas meter box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope somebody will be able to advise on a couple of questions I have regarding the fitting of a built in gas meter box.

I am pretty clear on how to cut the opening in the outer leaf of the wall and that it must not be mechanically fixed in place.

The stumbling blocks for me are how to best insulate behind and around the part of the box that sits in the cavity, as I don't want to create a cold spot on the internal wall which will attract condensation.

Secondly, what is the best method of damp proofing above and behind the box?

Please help.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
The box itself is a big air void so will lessen the risk of cold bridging. You can fit a slither of insulation into what remains of the cavity if you wish, for belt and braces approach.
Not a clue what you mean about damp proofing other than fit the box into the slot using a waterproof adhesive around the edges.

Thanks noseall.

Instructions in the box say fit dpm at least 700mm wide above and behind the box. No diagram to show how it should be done.

I was wondering if it just means from the coarse above the box on the internal leaf and running down behind to stop any potential moisture transfer?

It also says a suitable cavity tray can be used but I guess that is for new build as opposed to retro fit.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back