Re-opened fireplace, Couple of questions (with pics)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
similar kind of thread to the chap who has posted recently, re-opened up a fireplace over the last week so that we can install a woodburner for the winter. Got a couple of questions so I know which direction to proceed in, mainly to do with the back of the fireplace.

Basically I'm happy with the sides of the fireplace, but the brickwork for the back of the fireplace just doesn't seem right or correct. As you can see there are bricks missing as well as bricks jutting out, mainly on the right hand side. Where there is missing brick there is another layer of brick behind it, which upon measuring are further out than the outer wall of the house. I know fireplaces were generally 2 skinned when in terraced houses so slightly confused with what appears to be an additional layer if brickwork.

I've had a look up the chimney to see how far it goes but struggling to see for certain if it stops or carries on up, so just after some advice on if this kind of thing is common.

My other question is regarding the final finish ready for a woodburner. I am in 2 minds whether to keep it as brick of cover the brick if it doesn't scrub up. if I decide to cover the brick I have been looking at thick sandstone hearth tiles for the hearth and was wondering if they would be ok to use on the back and sides of the fireplace? I don't really fancy having it plastered and painted so thought thick tiles would look nice.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Keep going until you hit the flat wall at the back. All that brickwork is from an old back boiler used with coal fire.

hi Jeff, cheers for the reply.

I had a look earlier and that brickwork in the picture only goes up about 4 foot then slopes into the wall at the back so I know it's not supporting anything. The only concern I have is this:

On one side just under the top of the fireplace is some brickwork that goes from front to back into this third layer of brick which has a slope going up into the chimney (not very far I might add, maybe about a foot into the sidewall of the chimney). My guess is that this was used to direct smoke up the flue but don't want to get rid of it if it's going to be needed for the woodburner.

My feeling is that it won't matter if it's not there as I know the woodburner will have a flue in the top anyway, but I could be wrong.

Just ensure you have done your homework on the costs of running a wood burner. I make this point every so often when people plan to install them as many do not realise the potential running costs involved....

There are also always articles in the press about how cheap and green they are however the reality is often quite the opposite....

So please consider the following:

A 2kw high efficiency modern gas fire (even those made to look like a wood burner or an open fire with a glass front) on for 3hours a night will cost about 9 pence per hour to run.

That works out at around £35 a year to run..

An equivalent wood burning stove may cost more than £200+ to fuel...and can easily be much higher....

They also emit more particulates that a gas fire so unless you get a defra approved "clean burn" stove (which are more expensive) they are also "less green" than a gas fire.....

So, if you have an ample supply of wood or don't mind spending a lot of time collecting, storing, drying suitable wood, then it may indeed be cheaper to run....

If not, it will be considerably more expensive....

There is also the growing issue in some areas of so many people searching for and collecting wood (technically ilillegal without the landowners permission) that there is a lack of rotting wood for wildlife.

I have no problem with wood burners or people installing them. I just like to ensure that people have the whole picture before making a decision.

Sponsored Links
thanks for your reply dishman. Luckily I have a good stock of wood as I have a wood fire in the other room, we will be getting a defra approved stove as well. Also, our gas supply only runs to the boiler so getting everything changed to run somewhere else would no doubt cost a fair bit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back