Removing Part Of Beam In Loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon guys. Please see pictures below.

Basically what I want to do is remove part of the large beam which spans across the loft joists to within 2 ft of the beam upright location. I would cut in line with the joist next to the upright location point and brace onto the joist there. The reason for doing this is so that I can lay my floor without having the large beam in the way. Any comments/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Your images are probably working fine for you, but it appears they have been made "private" so no-one else can see them.

Afternoon Mr G. Have checked all the settings but I cannot seem to show the pictures. I will re-check. Thanks.

Doubt I'll be able to help with your problem... Just noticed the picture thing, that's all.

Sponsored Links
Almost all timbers in a loft are structural so removal of any will require additional support to be added.. photos will help when you have them uploaded..

That beam is holding up the ends of a lot of joists - which means that it's supporting a lot of ceiling. Is that a water tank of some sort I can see lagged in green. They weigh a lot! :!: :!: :!:

I thought that for a start too, but it looks more like it's sitting scross the top of those joists. Maybe spreadig the load from the trusses?

Hi Space and Mr G. No those are boxes covered in green bin bags. The beam sits on top of the joists which are not cut underneath the beam. The beam is running in the same line as walls in the bedrooms, so the walls support the joists and not the beam.

I have done a pic with proposed cut as follows : -

That beam is holding up the ends of a lot of joists - which means that it's supporting a lot of ceiling. Is that a water tank of some sort I can see lagged in green. They weigh a lot! :!: :!: :!:
It does? Hmm..
Looks more like a modified king post roof judging by the one in the distance.. but cant see the full roof so would only be guessing..
Could well be a ceiling binder..

Anyways for the inconvience of laying loft boarding you should leave it be.. or consider raising the boarding level to fly over the binders..

It looks to me like some sort of toe board arrangement to locate the supports to what I assume are purlins at the top of the diagonals.

Captain Spock....?

Sounds similar to a character on Star Trek called Mr Spock.

Any connection?

By the looks of it mate, that joist although isn't holding anything up, it's tying your joists together giving them the strength that they need to hold up your roof. I'd leave them as they are.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back