Rising Damp? - How would you handle this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just bought an old cottage and it has "Rising Damp".

From reading up, it would appear that rising damp may or may not exist. My feeling is that the injectable DPC solution only masks the effects and does not deal with the cause?

Our own feeling is that the damp issues are caused by the choked rainwater drains at the front and a concrete slab that runs against the front walls. This was it after I tried to scoop it out. Both the pipes in either direction are choked solid.

Slab means that surface water has nowehere to go other than up against the wall of the house.

ArdentinnyNov11157.jpg

Ardentinny032.jpg

There is a common drain that runs along the front of all the cottages and exits under the road onto the beach.

ArdentinnyNov11159-1.jpg

The inside and outside of the house are VERY close in terms of floor levels.

DampLarge.jpg

We reckon, if we take up the concrete slab, clear the drains and fit perforated drainage pipes then backfill with geotextile and pebbles (prob from the beach) we will make a HUGE difference in the levels of water in this area and probably NOT have to go down the route if injectable DPC.

The walls are broken rubble construction and i an dubious that any chemical DPC would make a uniform seal across it.

Inside, the joists rest on wooden sleepers laid onto bolsters of rubble on the solum. We plan on lifting the whole floor, putting down new sleepers with a damp proof memberane underneath then fitting new joists.

Will also try and improve the ventilation as well (think at present it is choked solid with fallen plaster from the damp walls.

ArdentinnyNov11141.jpg

Curious as to how you would approach this?

Sponsored Links
Yip, should have clarified that. Will 100% be getting a company down to jet the drains to make sure they are flowing. Fingers crossed that does the trick and we dont need to go digging!

I would say what you are doing is absolutely correct. There's no doubt that water lying against the walls will get through eventually.
I would definitly not even consider a chemical damp proof course.
A DPM and increased ventilation should ensure that your joists will remain in good order. I also assume you will use treated timbers to guard against fungus and wood-worm.
Looks an exciting project!
Good luck

Sponsored Links
DEAD excited about getting started. House is needing a fair bit of work (200 year service) but we are up for the challenge!

I am pretty sure the joists we got quoted were pressure treated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back