Rotten porch post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope someone can provide me with some guidance regarding fixing a rotten porch post.
The post is 2/3rds rotten at the bottom only and I have been unable to source a replacement to match the other posts.
Can I fix the post by using wood Hardner and wood filler or expanding foam.
I have not tackled his problem before and hopefully some one can enlighten me
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo and welcome tonyfish10 :D :D :D

no fillers or foam they are not structural

can you post a picture please or tell us what percentage off the cross section is rotten

That's pretty much had it. It wants cutting out and replacing with new timber, there's too much rotten to be filling.

Sponsored Links
Also, it looks to me as if it was placed so any water on the sill would soak up into the end grain.

You can protect your new one by leaving the post to soak in a small bucket of Cuprinol wood preserver for a day or two, after it cas been cut to size, and putting some kind of non-absobent barrier under it when refixing, maybe a bolt-down post support, or a bit of brass or plastic. Treat the top end too.

that's quite a fancy post, sometimes you can find similar in the "decking" section. I think you will have to replace all of them. I suppose you could cut out and replace the bottom section only, if you are very good at woodwork.

Examine your guttering for leaks and overspill, or wrong fall, if that end is especially wet.

The design of the porch has led to the rot, as it is only this post that is rotten. I aim to avoid replacing all the posts due to cost.

The wood sill that the post sits on has a rectangular hole where the post slotted in and was then screwed from underneath into place. All this has rotted with the screws pointing upwards into nothing now.

I think having read the comments that I will need professional help, as I would like someone to cut the rotten bit away, support the load. When the piece has been taken away, repair and treat the sill, as it is now dry, as I have had it covered for a while. The new piece can then be fitted and as you stated add protection at the bottom to stop it happening again. It is exposed to the weather on the corner.

let me know if you think treating the sill would suffice.

to me, the sill looks rotten as well, so I think the end section at least needs to be cut out and replaced. Poke around where the spindles go into the rail as well, in case water has run down into the joints and started the rot.

I am a great believer in dip-treating with Cuprinol against rot, I don't know anything as good, though Wickes own-brand appears to be very similar.

Use stainless screws and bolts for any repair.

Those are just stair newel posts. Probably not intended for exterior use, so treat any new one if it's not hardwood

Update: Just had the work done by a local joiner/carpenter. He removed the bottom of front and back post (back had gone as well) and the sill.
He shaped both posts perfectly on a lathe to match the remaining post in hard wood and primed for painting.
The sill has been set on concrete as before and he in my opinion has done a fine job.
He hired 2 acrows to support for a few days.
My question is around the charge for the job which was £295. Is that reasonable for the work involved?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back