Small square bricks/ready made headers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know if it is possible to buy bricks of 102.5 x 102.5 x 65mm? Would like to build a cavity wall to look like English bond with header rows. if I can buy ready made headers would save alot of brick cutting. If such bricks exist, is there a techical name for them?

Sponsored Links
Does anyone know if it is possible to buy bricks of 102.5 x 102.5 x 65mm? Would like to build a cavity wall to look like English bond with header rows. if I can buy ready made headers would save alot of brick cutting. If such bricks exist, is there a techical name for them?

They are known as 'snapped headers'. They are not available to buy, you have to cut them yourself (unless I'm very much mistaken). Just cut them yourself with a 4" bolster and lump hammer, it won't take you long.

Except I'm not very good with a bolster and hammer and often the brick tends to break in a place other than where I want it to break thus tend to use an angle grinder to cut bricks which while I get a neat edge it takes longer and makes a hell of a lot of dust.

You hit the brick once, twice at the most with a brick hammer or the edge of the trowel

Sponsored Links
Actually what you are asking for is a "half bat" a snap header is a brick that has been cut in half.

Yes they are made but unless you are going to be buying a lot the cost many be too high so cutting could be the better option.

J

Thanks for that. On a simular subject I may decide to use reclaimed bricks, impirial size in order to get a closer match to the original brickwork. Is it possible/a good idea to use impirial sized bricks with metric size breeze blocks? Maybe use wall ties with one end bent to 90 degrees from the other end so that one end of each tie will will go in the horizontal joint and other end in vertical joint?

its not a problem, you'll find the tied are long enough to be bent down slightly. Obviously though bend them high on the inner leaf to low on the outer.

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy bricks of 102.5 x 102.5 x 65mm?
Buy 'em?

Get the bricks from Simmo's of Stafford and you will end up with at least 10% of the snapped headers ready made in the pack.... :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back